Anti virus software?? what one?

Associate
Just a quick Q, ive been using norton antivirus which is due for renewel, im off out to buy a new copy but wanted a bit of advice on other anti viruis software out there.

What do you use and whats supposed to be the best?

Cheers

=GAMMO=

Soldato
Dont be tempted to go with AVG, it has a very very poor detection rate.
Computer Associates are giving a 12month trial on their EZ Antivirus, some thing they have going with M$, its not a bad AV at all really.

Man of Honour
You can get it both retail and download version - obviously if you don't want a box/cd then the download version is a tenner cheaper :)

Associate
malfunkshun said:
Dont be tempted to go with AVG, it has a very very poor detection rate.
Computer Associates are giving a 12month trial on their EZ Antivirus, some thing they have going with M$, its not a bad AV at all really.

Thats the one I use - very pleased with it dead easy to setup and use - also very light on the system. also I'd guess its the same engine as their pro product which we use at work..

Also do a deal for 2 years which is what I did.

Associate
Yep I would say go for Eset's Nod 32 Best antivirus software ive ever used and believe me ive used a lot of different makes ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Must admit, I was a bit reluctant to trust NOD32, especially with having Norton for God knows how many year. :o

But when I uninstalled Norton AV from two machines, and installed NOD32 - it instantly picked up several viruses which managed their way past Norton.

I swear by NOD32, purely because it picks up viruses that Norton doesn't/didn't.

So, asides the virus detection increase, you also get decent performance increase too. :cool:

Associate
Hasn't there been a recent test of av software seeing which picked up both the most viruses and also the most potential unknown threats? Something like Kaspersky av software won it, picking up all threats and viruses sent at it.

Associate
Bellboy said:
Hasn't there been a recent test of av software seeing which picked up both the most viruses and also the most potential unknown threats? Something like Kaspersky av software won it, picking up all threats and viruses sent at it.
There was one in computer buyer.
Nod wasn't in the test but out of the rest kaspersky won

Man of Honour
VB100% Results Overview: Eset (NOD32)
36 Success / 3 Failure / 5 No Entry

VB100% Results Overview: Grisoft (AVG)
11 Success / 21 Failure / 12 No Entry

VB100% Results Overview: Kaspersky
31 Success / 13 Failure / 0 No Entry

VB100% Results Overview: McAfee
24 Success / 18 Failure / 2 No Entry

www.virusbtn.com

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok cheers guys, just got 1 years subscription :D ill go for a 3 year next year if i like it, hasnt found anything that shouldnt be there so all is well :)

Thanks again

=GAMMO=

Caporegime
I use Kaspersky here but I am lucky enough to get it for nowt from the Open University as I study with them. It is a bit of resource hog though. I think NOD32 is best, myself.

Associate
Bought NOD32 myself yesterday, thought I'd also give it a try as my Norton subscription had run out. It picked up a potential problem, which Norton never did, and the scan itself of the entire contents of the PC was a lot quicker then I was used to.

So far I am very happy with it, and its nice and simple to use.

Back
Top Bottom