I finally worked it out

Soldato
Theres been a style of gig photography that I've loved but I've been unable to master. On Thursday I finally figured out how to do it.

The night started out like any other night at a gig.

CRW_8765-01.jpg

CRW_8895-01.jpg

CRW_8902-01.jpg

The usual 50mm and 10mm shots. But then when the 3rd band came on and I was playing around with the flash @ 1/10th and the fast moving singer I spotted the style I love.

CRW_8914-01.jpg

All this time I had been thinking the key was 2nd curtain flash. It wasn't.

CRW_8919-01.jpg

Soldato
OP
The next band came on and while very good they didn't appear to be rocking it enough for me to get the shots I wanted.

CRW_8983-01.jpg

CRW_8997-01.jpg

Then the final band came on. The club emptied and I was a bit worried I wouldn't get to play. However, they turned out to be a great band.

CRW_9140-02.jpg

CRW_9095-01.jpg

CRW_9105-01.jpg

Soldato
OP
CRW_9146-01.jpg

I finally figured out how to do it. It wasn't 2nd curtain. It wasn't holding the camera as still as possible hoping the people move around. It was quite simply the flash goes off, shutter stays open for x amount of time and you move to create the effect. I'm really happy now. There seem to be 2 main styles of gig photography, that I've seen. The style from the top using the gig lighting to create stylish atmospheric images, and the style with the flash to sorta capture the energy of the performers. I'm really happy that I'm starting to master the flash.

Soldato
OP
Ta guys :) They do have their own places yer. The 2nd style is great for energetic bands to really capture their energy in their music. The first style is good for acoustic and things. Now if I could just work "Perspective" in there ;)

Soldato
cyKey said:
CRW_9146-01.jpg

I finally figured out how to do it. It wasn't 2nd curtain. It wasn't holding the camera as still as possible hoping the people move around. It was quite simply the flash goes off, shutter stays open for x amount of time and you move to create the effect.
It's also possible to do the same using 2nd curtain flash i.e. You move around to create the effect then the flash goes off at the end to freeze the action.

Using 1st or 2nd curtain flash simply changes where you want the blurred parts of the photo to appear :
Blur in front of the subject - 1st curtain (standard flash)
Blur behind the subject - 2nd curtain flash.

In most cases it looks better with the blur behind the subject but I guess its trail and error.

Soldato
Looking good there mate. :) You've definitely managed to get the effect you were looking for.

I like the guy with the camera phone in the first pic taking a picture of you! :p

Soldato
OP
SDK^ said:
It's also possible to do the same using 2nd curtain flash i.e. You move around to create the effect then the flash goes off at the end to freeze the action.

Using 1st or 2nd curtain flash simply changes where you want the blurred parts of the photo to appear :
Blur in front of the subject - 1st curtain (standard flash)
Blur behind the subject - 2nd curtain flash.

In most cases it looks better with the blur behind the subject but I guess its trail and error.

Ah right. It never seemed to work with 2nd curtain, maybe it was due to me being still. Something else to try :D

Associate
Excellent shots. Personally I find the distortion on the people at the edge of the frame a bit too much on No.s 1 and 3. No. 4 and onwards are just superb :)

Soldato
Thats quite interesting as I was looking for a similar effect on my quest for light trails when i went snowboarding last year.

Please be advised that my camera and of course my shots are not even on the same planet as your level of expertise though as I am near enough a complete novice! (In fact I'd be inclined to say most of mine are junk in comparison as I kind of "left the photo to find the effect" if you know what i mean!)

Please be nice as my intentions while taking these were just to find out how they do those light trail traffic type pictures (whilst half cut I might add)

Circular kind of lights trails
blur.jpg

More elaborate light trails
blur2.jpg

The kind of "Aura" effect I was also looking for
blur3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom