Post your 3rd/4th year projects

Associate
I expect many of us are doing 3rd or 4th year projects in our degree course at the moment, and I thought it would be interesting to post some details about them.

Mine has the ever so catchy title "An Investigation into the Application of Regression, Expectation Maximisation (EM) and Neural Network Methods to the Imputation of Missing or Incorrect Data".

Basically this involves analysing an existing data set for either missing value (easy enough), or erroneous values (a bit less easy). Once these have been analysed and outliers found, the real fun begins.

The aim of the project is to impute these erroneous values back to what they should be based on the over all trend of the data. This can be done by formulating simple, multiple or polynomial regression models, as well as using probabilistic methods such as the Expectation Maximisation (E.M) algorithm. Next I am going to be looking at if it's possible to improve on these methods by using Neural Networks to formulate a data model.

It's all going pretty well so far, just about on target, and should end up with a pretty decent mark at the end of it all.

Here's a few screenshots of the utility I'm working on to automate all this (very primitive)

project1.png

project2.png

Ignore the error exception ;). The highlighted bit is what's important
project3.png

Now you :)

Associate
I'm doing a neural networks project as well.

Using Neural Networks for Greyhound Race Prediction.

I dont have time to post anything here that I've done, but its going very well. I've implemented a load of complicated algorithms like Scaled Conjugate Gradient Descent and applied Bayesian techniques to neural networks as well.

I can get about 15% ROI, which is pretty amazing.

Are you writing your project up into a dissertation? Might be a good idea to read each others when they are done to offer suggestions etc.

Associate
OP
Inquisitor said:
That C# or VB.NET Veritas? Also, I assume you're doing Computer Science?
Yes and Yes :)

Lagz said:
Are you writing your project up into a dissertation? Might be a good idea to read each others when they are done to offer suggestions etc.
I'm trying to write mine up as I go along to save having to do it in one big lot over Easter. Going OK so far, up to ~20 pages

Associate
Veritas said:
I'm trying to write mine up as I go along to save having to do it in one big lot over Easter. Going OK so far, up to ~20 pages

So am I. I've written about 25 pages (~6000 words) so far, but its too much given its only the first section of three and the word limit is 12000. Arg! There is literally nothing I can see that I can obviously take out :( . Its shaping up to be a good dissertation though.

Soldato

Shows the connection window -> pick any database you like :}

Shows the table information window.

Shows the table relationship window (can also create relationships).

Shows the SQL intellisense window.

Associate
I've created a classified car website website and distributed service to allow dealers to use their dealer management systems (DMS) to automatically place adverts on my classified car website without the need of manual intervention. It's not exactly the most interesting project but it should get me a reasonable grade.

The actual write up is fine. Done about 11K words (max 12k), 14K words inc appendicies. My supervisor seems pretty impressed as well.

The website can be viewed at http://adcock82.plus.com:81/project/carWebSite/index.aspx (you can login using username: test, password: test) It works best in Mozilla browsers or Opera. There is a bit of a problem with IE that i'm going to need to solve.
The distributed web service can be viewed at http://adcock82.plus.com:81/project/carWebSite/carWebServices.asmx
I also created an example application that shows how the web service features can be used (just as it could be by a DMS). Haven't uploaded that yet but i've put a some pics below:

Main screen:
project-screen1.jpg

Viewing a car:
project-screen2.jpg

Placing an advert:
project-screen3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Lagz said:
So am I. I've written about 25 pages (~6000 words) so far, but its too much given its only the first section of three and the word limit is 12000. Arg! There is literally nothing I can see that I can obviously take out :( . Its shaping up to be a good dissertation though.

I did about 20 pages for my initial report, gotta do an outline report for 2 weeks time :( basically - just what ive done so far, how its differed from my goals etc..

Then i gotta combine it with a Final Report which needs to be at least between 7,000-10,000 words :o

L33

L33

Permabanned
Some very complicated code, A* material:

Code:
using System;
namespace HelloWorld
{
	class Hello
	{

static void Main(string[] args)
		{
			Console.WriteLine("Hello, World!");
			Console.ReadLine();
		}
	}
}

Soldato
Mr_L said:
lol fairplay, my mate did that for his 2nd year project.

his one is very good - has custom contact lists, with authorisation to add people - its very MSN and very good.

once the site to register is live im sure he'll post

Soldato
I'm sure it is very good, I just found it funny because of the coincidence.

Our lecturer at the time kept trying to wind my mate up by saying it was a "trivial" program, but he knew full well it was a good project.

Associate
It may be a fun project but there isn't really much computer science content. I dont think they would let anyone do something like that at my uni.

Back
Top Bottom