xp install without original cd?

Associate
I've just picked up a pc which I had to re format the hd.The system originally had xp home installed,but I don't have the original install disc.THe case has the product key sticker on It.
Is it possible to install xp home from a different disc and use the original product key, or is there a way to get a copy of the original disc?
It would be nice if I could, as this pc should have a legit copy of xp home which has been bought and payed for.
I think I already know the answer,as we all know microsoft!!,but any input would be apprecieated.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks lordedmond,just finnished re installing.
one more quick question. Will xp ask me to activate again in 30 days,and if so do I put the original owners details in or can I use my own?
PS microsoft not quite as stingey as I thought LOL

Associate
OP
Yep re-registered xp, but it wouldn't let me do it online. I had to ring them and after the third degree(why had I installed xp, where was the pc bought from was this copy on any other pc, etc) they activated for me. I suppose they're only trying to stop pirating,but if the software was a little cheaper..... Maybe thats for another thread

Associate
that is what they do with OEM software. 1 Online activation only and then you have to ring them.

Though you must have changed the hardware config as when I have formatted XP home OEM and reinstalled the hardware was the same so I guess it could check it online and as it matched the hardware spec they must store it was activated. But when the graphics drivers were uninstalled it wanted a reactivation and that had to be done on the phone

Associate
|Ric| said:
that is what they do with OEM software. 1 Online activation only and then you have to ring them.

Though you must have changed the hardware config as when I have formatted XP home OEM and reinstalled the hardware was the same so I guess it could check it online and as it matched the hardware spec they must store it was activated. But when the graphics drivers were uninstalled it wanted a reactivation and that had to be done on the phone

I have had the same changed a setting in the bios relating to sata and I got you need to reactivate your copy , claimed to many hardware changes. Infact i had not changed any hardware since the origdinal install just the bios change , very odd

Back
Top Bottom