Scythe Ninja... who's got one?

Soldato
I just read a review from Gamershell iirc, after seeing on here that it is recommended as a good cooler. It showed that compared to the XP-120 it was roughly 16 degrees cooler at load (with a 120mm fan)!!

Is it really that good? I must have been out the loop as I thought the XP-120 was the best. :o

Anyone on here who has one, I'd love to see some temps from you. :)

Soldato
Firegod said:
It showed that compared to the XP-120 it was roughly 16 degrees cooler at load (with a 120mm fan)!!

Is it really that good? I must have been out the loop as I thought the XP-120 was the best. :o
Hi,

I doubt that very much, probably 16°C cooler than the stock HSF.

The Ninja does look nice, I went for the Thermalright SI-120 (the new XP-120) and its super!

Thermalright have been in the cooling game for a long time, and were the first company to release heatsinks that featured *heatpipes* I believe.

Not a lot of love for the Thermalrights on these forums! :)

Associate
My Opteron 165 [email protected] never goes above 45C load and thats without the AS5 settling in yet. The thing is damn big though so make sure it fits your mobo, I can't use the orange ram slots on my DFI Ultra D...

Soldato
just because a company has been around a long time does not instantly mean that they are the best. in the world of technology any newcommer can enter if they have even just one product thats is top notch.

if it were as your saying, everyone would be using intel cpus and amd would not have even sold 1 cpu.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. ;)

I have a DFI mobo so I'm guessing it'll fit ok, but it does sound good, I might give it a go and see if I can get past my current speed of 2.75Ghz and hit 2.8Ghz. My current temps with this XP-120 are good at idle (35 degrees according to MBM) but it's when it's at load it's sitting at over the 55 mark.

How come ocuk don't sell these btw if they are the best? :confused:

Soldato
No idea, ive asked for them in stoke in the suggestion forums :o

U will see cooler temps of 35 deg' as I get that or below at idle with a oc' P4. you will see the 20's idle, and wont be hitting past the 50 mark. Depending on case cooling and room tempreature.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
scythe ninja is the best air cooling you can buy currently. second best is the thermaltake big typhoon.
Cyber-Mav said:
just because a company has been around a long time does not instantly mean that they are the best. in the world of technology any newcommer can enter if they have even just one product thats is top notch.

if it were as your saying, everyone would be using intel cpus and amd would not have even sold 1 cpu.
Hi,

Not sure where your coming from, but your very welcome to express your opinion and equally I will express mine. Some people do not know much about Thermalright so I was just stating some facts? is that ok with you :)

Firegod said:
My current temps with this XP-120 are good at idle (35 degrees according to MBM) but it's when it's at load it's sitting at over the 55 mark.

How come ocuk don't sell these btw if they are the best? :confused:
Hi,

Here are some *personal* results using the Thermalright Si-120 which I'm sure you will find interesting. Bear in mind this is with a silent'ish Akasa 120mm fan and stock (1.4) vCore

2006020514h32cpugraph5tg.gif

Its your choice but I wouldn't buy a HSF that didn't fit my motherboard properly or not allow me to fit certain components easily.

Associate
I've got one with me X2 3800+ @ 2.5ghz. Running at 1.4v the temp goes to around 50ºC. I've got a lian-li pc7 case and it only just fits (around 0.5cm between the heatsink and side of the case).

Soldato
Big.Wayne

People have heard of Thermalright and a lot of people have used them in the past.

They were at the top of the tree when it came to socket A coolers (SP97)

Cyber-Mav was just pointing out that the Scythe Ninja is currently the best air cooler out there atm regardless of which motherboard your running. He just happens to have the Ultra-D and it restricts the orange ram slots.

V.Core affects temps, your lucky as your running at near stock - but some people have to up it to 1.55-1.6v in which case yours would be lacking and the Ninja/Thermaltake Big Typhoon would take the lead.

The Thermaright coolers are in their own right-superb, but there are better ones out there now.

Ive had 2x XP90c's and 1x XP120 all of which were really good.

Soldato
bah, you guys are lucky, try removing the heat from a XP cpu, the tiny core puts out loads of heat and does not have a big heatspreadder on it to help transfer the heat to the heat sink.

Soldato
mightynimrod said:
Big.Wayne

People have heard of Thermalright and a lot of people have used them in the past.

They were at the top of the tree when it came to socket A coolers (SP97)

Cyber-Mav was just pointing out that the Scythe Ninja is currently the best air cooler out there atm regardless of which motherboard your running. He just happens to have the Ultra-D and it restricts the orange ram slots.

V.Core affects temps, your lucky as your running at near stock - but some people have to up it to 1.55-1.6v in which case yours would be lacking and the Ninja/Thermaltake Big Typhoon would take the lead.

The Thermaright coolers are in their own right-superb, but there are better ones out there now.

Ive had 2x XP90c's and 1x XP120 all of which were really good.
Oh dear why do I bother to get caught up in these discussions ;)

I am in no position to say which HSF is *best* because I haven't used all of them, and I am not saying the SI-120 is the *best* I am saying it's a kickass cooler. It has no fitting issues and cools really well?

Really people should say *I think* product xyz rather than saying *it is the best*, how do they know? did they test them all or are they just going on web-reviews or forum feedback.

It's almost a *moot* point because most of us are overcooling out CPU's anyway, therefore you have to look at other selling points of a modern HSF like: Is it easy to fit, is it quiet, does it look nice, will it allow me to swap out components etc.

I supplied the results above to show what my *personal* experience with the SI-120 has been like, hopefully someone else who owns the Ninja will take the time to share their cooling results with us (i.e screenshots).

Yes I maybe a little lucky that I can run my CPu at 1.4vCore, but the results are very good with this cooler even at 1.55vCore.

I don't see what the problem is here as I like the look of the ninja :)

Soldato
Who said there was a problem??

No need for the sarcastic "oh dear" either.

If you read what i posted, i stated that the Thermalright coolers were superb.

As for there being a problem, not my end.

Like yourself im in no position to say from personal experience as ive not used all coolers.

What i do try and find out is facts and figures regarding the performance of the coolers out there at the moment.

Im in a bit of a dillemna as i need to buy myself a performance heatsink and while ive recently been using Thermalrights with Panaflo fans i feel that for the money (sub £50) there are clearly better ones out there than the Thermalrights - the Big Typhoon OCUK sell being one of them.

Do i go for one of those or seek out a Scythe Ninja, before i do then more research to cooler performance will be sought out.

Associate
There are a lot of reviews out there that put the ninja as the performance king. In fact I haven't seen one yet where it is beaten with the same fan.

I have one and it is awesome. Venice 3000+ @ 2.5ghz 1.55v .... 42deg full load.... fanless. The only case fan is a "silent" ystech 80mm running at 7v. I was impressed :)

Marc

Soldato
marc mercer said:
Venice 3000+ @ 2.5ghz 1.55v .... 42deg full load.... fanless. The only case fan is a "silent" ystech 80mm running at 7v. I was impressed :)
For a passive set-up that is impressive! I wonder how your mobo chipset/PWM/Mosfets were coping?

I'm running some cooling tests right now to see how the Si-120 performs using 1.55vCore.

Feel free to share some review links with us, and also if you got the time run OCCT test and post up your results.

I may do some tests running *passive* but as the 120mm AKASA fan is almost silent I'm not sure thats any advantage, also the motherboard needs some airflow (mosfets etc).

Associate
The scythe ninja is an amazing peice of kit. It really is huge; about 1cm to spare in my coolermaster centurion 530 :p

Temps on my 3700 are 19-26 idle depending of ambient, and 30-35 load, and this is with it at 1.475v!

Although it does do this:
http://resources.vr-zone.com/floppyimage/ninja/DSC02528.jpg

Don't worry about it though as that RAM slot is only needed if your using all 4 slots as its the other two which are used for dual channel and tbh i'm not totally sure if it would make the slot un-useable and the stuff that attaches the back plate on is non-cunductive i think.

Just to persuade you here are some pics of mine :)

Soldato
OP
DanMc07 said:
U will see cooler temps of 35 deg' as I get that or below at idle with a oc' P4. you will see the 20's idle, and wont be hitting past the 50 mark. Depending on case cooling and room tempreature.

Cool :cool: that's some good news there, thanks.

Big.Wayne said:
Here are some *personal* results using the Thermalright Si-120 which I'm sure you will find interesting. Bear in mind this is with a silent'ish Akasa 120mm fan and stock (1.4) vCore

2006020514h32cpugraph5tg.gif

Its your choice but I wouldn't buy a HSF that didn't fit my motherboard properly or not allow me to fit certain components easily.

That's some nice results, those Opty's are great chips. I have to pump 1.6v through my CPU atm to get it stable at 2.75Ghz. So hopefully with lower temps I can increase the VCore a little more. I probably won't be going over 1.65v though. ;)

Oh btw, what program is that to display a nice graph like that, I would like to do that on my rig. Cheers.

marc mercer said:
I have one and it is awesome. Venice 3000+ @ 2.5ghz 1.55v .... 42deg full load.... fanless. The only case fan is a "silent" ystech 80mm running at 7v. I was impressed :)

Marc

That's some good results if you ask me. V.nice, thanks. I have the 120x120x38mm YS-Tech fan which I plan to fit to the cooler for 125CFM's of airflow. Should be good!

Finally @Sandmaster500,

thanks for posting the pics and info. Does it defo make the orange slots inaccessable on the DFI? It's not really a problem as I use the yellow slots atm and can run the ram fine at 275Mhz, but I hear the orange slots are better again. :)

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom