NTL in trials of a 100Mb service

Commissario
NTL would probably be in an ideal position to deploy connections at that speed if the cost of the equipment at the ends of the cables wasn't overly high.

IIRC their local boxes are less than 2-300 meters from any user as the cable runs, so if they could get the equipment into their boxes they would be laughing.

Associate
I think the current equipment is capable of 38 down and 10 up so it will mean replacing that, and all the STB's and cable modems.

But 100mb would be good, it would make vpn'ing to home much more attractive and offer a lot more mobility.

Associate
100Mbit over copper is pushing it. This may well just be a rumour as coax cable has only been developed to 10meg in the past. Without laying a fair bit more fibre i doubt this will be feasible as the bandwidth requirement will increase 10fold this bigger infastructure is needed.

Associate
What's the point in having a 100Mbit pipe into your house if you can only use its capacity for about 30 mins per month before your capped bandwidth usage runs out...?

Soldato
Werewolf said:
NTL would probably be in an ideal position to deploy connections at that speed if the cost of the equipment at the ends of the cables wasn't overly high.

IIRC their local boxes are less than 2-300 meters from any user as the cable runs, so if they could get the equipment into their boxes they would be laughing.

that's right. The box im connected to is is about 50meters away. Cable to that box, then the rest of it is fibre optic. NTL's optic network may actually start to pay off, and in a big way too.

Soldato
BT will be a laughing stock when/IF this launches.

Maximum NON TRIAL speeds are 2mbit at the moment, the 31st of march should see all exchanged upgraded for MAXDSL, so proably summer 06 for 20% of people or less to get 8mbit - while NTL already have 10mbit available and are working on 100mbit :o

Soldato
getting wood just thinking about it :)on 10meg atm which is great but 100 meg :) all my m8s are on ntl so would more or less be like having all my friends on a giant uber lan :)

Soldato
It would need to have realistic capping in place. Certainly well over the current 75gig. 10x the speed, 10x the limit? 750gig a month? Thats before calculating the upstream increase.

Its certainly getting exciting. At this rate, in a couple of years everyone will be on bonkersband and playing games online will be like being on a LAN :D

Good times ahead imho.

Caporegime
Yeah, traffic shaping :p
Rumour has it they've acquired a set of Ellacoyas (of PlusNet fame). Fun to come.

Not sure on the BT being a laughing stock bit, not everyone wants maximum download speed over anything else. ;)

Soldato
tolien said:
Not sure on the BT being a laughing stock bit, not everyone wants maximum download speed over anything else. ;)
Yeh, I'll point out these are trials, and there is no given percentage of availiabillity. Its also going to be bloody expensive.
If you're going to start pointing fingers at who's behind, you might as well point at the UK. Japan has 1gb.

Back
Top Bottom