best LEGAL place to download mp3?

Soldato
since i dont actually own a cd player outside my car (and even thats mp3 too!) I want to know the best place to download mp3s legally that

1) aren't DRM crippled and
2) aren't extortionate prices and
3) isn't iTunes (linux laptop)

I listen to rock and metal mainly and although i get the CDs of some of the more obscure bands, I want to get stuff on mp3 ideally...

Soldato
Are you happy to pay? Or are you just looking for places which let you download music that bands have allowed?

Probabaly a good place to look is a bands website... Often they put their few best tracks up as mp3s for download

Soldato
I'm not a rock person but for electronic music the best places are either the record label website for tracks you're after or a genre specific download site. You'll have to do you own research for rock/metal specific sites though

:)

Soldato
skiba said:
I use dodgyrussianmp3site.com Every review i've read says it is legal, it pays royalties etc. It costs on average $1.50 for an album encoded at 192kbps.

edit: didn't read your above post, I think my recommendation probably fits into the "grey area".

Being a mod must be so tedious :p

Every other thread in music and films has that link posted and everytime it gets deleted...

Associate
daz said:

Noticed that site mentioned in the latest MacUser - all about music sites and what to look out for.

I currently subscribe to eMusic (used the free 100 downloads from Winamp) and have stuck with them. I think it's independent labels though, so it's a bit hit and miss if you're looking for something in particular.

eMusic here

There's also Jamendo for Creative Commons licensed music.

Some more Creative Commons here.

Back
Top Bottom