Weekend football *Spoilers!*

Associate
'ave that.
Great game.
Great Atmosphere.
Liverpool played containment/spoiler for the first half, and we found it difficult to get through.
When the goal came, it meant that Liverpool had to come out and in the second half we dominated.
Surprised that Liverpool relied so much on the long ball to Crouch - yes he's tall and wins a percentage of the ball, but it's extremely one dimensional - I thought Liverpools recent (improved) performances had gone away from that.
Reina was always going to get a yellow for the challenge on EG (keeper out of the box, coming thru from behind) and that would have been it but raising his hands left the referee no option.
Now I need to record the match on Sky plus and see how many times Hernan was given offside - his movement is fantastic and I'm sure that his guile is leading the lino's top raise the flag in error...
He seemed quite happy with the result :) - hope he stays but not impossible he could leave.....

Man of Honour
Burned_Alive said:
Theres not a lot of point speculating on what players we're going to bring in, because ive no idea to be honest. We all know who plays for Liverpool and Chelsea, but i think (and it is a matter of opinion) id be looking to bring in two strikers and a RW, with the talent of players like Torres, Kuyt and Joaquin (dont know whether rafa will spend in the summer though :( ) , add these to our current squad with Gonzalez definitely coming in the summer and i think we'd be a better team.
Fair enough, it is a matter of opinion though as you say & I'm not convinced. I don't always wear blue tinted glasses by the way & would agree with you if I thought it was a valid argument:)

Man of Honour
maby66 said:
Now I need to record the match on Sky plus and see how many times Hernan was given offside - his movement is fantastic and I'm sure that his guile is leading the lino's top raise the flag in error...
The young lad with the yellow flag had a blinder to be honest, the other lino 'may' of got a decision or 2 wrong:)

Soldato
maby66 said:
Liverpool played containment/spoiler for the first half, and we found it difficult to get through.

You're having a laugh aren't you. Chelsea created nothing in the first half till you scored the goal. Your lot were playing the containment/spoiler footy in the first half. At least when we got the ball we went forward and weren't relying on the counter attack like you lot.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. You scored the goals and got the points, thats all that matters

Associate
No...not having a laugh at all...I thought Liverpools game plan was to press hard, not give us any time on the ball, break the play up and get long balls up to Crouch - and from that Liverpool won a succession of corners. But nothing came of it due to lack of quality/finishing up front.
We were sluggish to get to grips with Liverpools pressing game and the linos flag didnt help.
We had the ball in the net twice in the first half, tested your keeper more and hit the side netting.
But like you say, we won - and not aimed at your direction but it's one of my most satisfying days at Stamford Bridge for a long time- great atmosphere - lots of singing, whole ground standing for most of the game.
Strangely quiet at the other end ;) - though interesting to see that only 2 teams have taken the full away allocation at Stamford Bridge this year - Livepool and Fulham.....

Associate
It's true that Robben came over all theatrical with Reina's hand in his face but to be fair, he quickly assumed the sitting position rather than laying poleaxed as I've seen this season from similar incidents. What he did is somewhat immaterial, however. As soon as Reina's hand went up and made contact with Robben's face it was a red card. What came after is of no consequence. Reina was a fool to do it whilst walking towards the ref having been called over.

The biggest difference between the teams today was that one didn't show up with any attackers. All that talk at half time about Liverpool's chances. What chances? They call came off Crouch's head and, as such, are zero chances.

And that young looking linesman had a blinder in the first half. He got all the offside decisions right - and there were a lot of them. Whereas there was a terrible decision in the second half which denied Crespo a second.

Soldato
Burned_Alive said:
Theres not a lot of point speculating on what players we're going to bring in, because ive no idea to be honest. We all know who plays for Liverpool and Chelsea, but i think (and it is a matter of opinion) id be looking to bring in two strikers and a RW, with the talent of players like Torres, Kuyt and Joaquin (dont know whether rafa will spend in the summer though :( ) , add these to our current squad with Gonzalez definitely coming in the summer and i think we'd be a better team.

Just done the sums on this incidently and it comes in at about £50m, so never gonna happen....

Soldato
PMSL at Benitez. Spot on. Shouldn't have raised his hands, but Robben should be ashamed to call himself a professional.

Didn't think the tackle was too bad either..

Soldato
Gooner14 said:
Torres is overrated and quite frankly rubbish. Why aren't the 2 big Spanish clubs interested in him! For that reason.

To a point yes he is, couldn't believe he was rated at £20M coming into Euro04, after that interest in him just vanished!don't really know where all the hype come from. He undoubtedly does have some skill, and his finishing looked spot on tonight.

Unlucky Barca, but Et'o will be coming hope sooner and Ronaldinho too. Also the young Messi looking fantastic too, Rijkaard is not playing him too much, he is a revelation, going to be awesome for Argentina. I Abosolutely love watching him play.

Milan drew tonight against Lazio, don't know what is happening to them, title is out of reach for sure. Inter got their win, still in pursuit f Juve who keep winning! Luca Toni scored again today, 22 goals this season!

Back
Top Bottom