vacuum cleaners...

Associate
My old one just broke and my bedroom is a mess!! im really interested in getting on of these dyson's but the cheapest ive seen is £150...

Are they really as good as people say there are?

I really don't want to spend much but I need it to be fairly good.

Anyone here "into" there vacuum cleaners that could recommend me something cheap and cheerful

cheers

Associate
Know nothing about vacuum cleaners but all I can say is that my step mum has an upright Bissell vacuum cleaner for just under a year now and it has had parts breaking. When we sent it back to get it fixed the service was terrible. Then it got too hot and a belt melted, so we has to order another. Apart from that it does clean as well as a Dyson.

Soldato
Dysons are ess-aitch-one-tee. My sister was an R&D engineer there before they moved to Malaysia and the comparison cleaner they couldn't beat was a Miele with a bag. Panasonic bagless are also better than Dyson apparently, but the filters are impossible to find so after a year of normal use they're useless.

The profit margins on Dysons are enormous - they have to be to keep the patent lawyers paid - and the cleaners actually aren't as good as ones with bags. It's cheaper to buy a cheap one with bags and change the bags monthly rather than buy a bagless one.

Practically my entire family bought Dysons on their staff discount scheme and we all binned them and got Miele ones instead. Miele Cat and Dog II is about the best cleaner on the market. Mind you, it is £180! But still cheaper than a Dyson.

Soldato
Dyson DC14 or Miele Cat and Dog will serve you well.

Coming from someone that has been selling them for over five years.

EDIT - Of course, depends what you are after, the best dysons are upright cleaners and the miele is a cylinder. Personally, and I mean personally, on that alone, I'd get a Dyson. Which I did, heh.

Soldato
Oh yeah speaking of bags (thanks for the reminder!)

When the Miele we have got delivered (Cat & Dog II no less, messy cats :D) there was a form allowing you to claim loads of free bags and servicing.

3 weeks later and a large box was delivered with about 100 bags in it iirc. Should last a while and was a nice freebie :D

Soldato
Miele Cat and Dog is about the best cleaner I have used, and indeed its what we own - as does my dad who has been a carpet fitter for over 30 years who recommended it to us. It picks up the dogs hair with a single pass (black dog + light beige carpet = lots of hoovering).
Only thing he's used in all that time which he rates better than the Miele is one which was a system plumbed into a house with the collector in the garage. Which is nothing like this side of 200 notes :)

IMO Dyson are nothing short of overated and VERY overpriced.

Back
Top Bottom