• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need an upgrade!

Permabanned
Hey guys,

I currently have 1gb DDR ram, X800XT PE card, but only an AMD Athlon 2800XP. Now I have the feeling that the CPU is seriously bottlenecking my system so looking for an upgrade but a bit confused. I can't put an AMD 64 chip in my board can I? (A7N8X mobo) and they don't do 3200+ chips any more for my board. So would you recommend an AMD 64 capable mobo with a 3200+ chip? Or something that supports dual core?

Cheers!

Soldato
I have been looking for the 400FSB 3200 XP chip. Can I get a new one anymore?

I too, currently have a socket A 1GB Athlon 1900XP and am looking for a decent upgrade path. It's looking more and more like a complete system rebuild though.

Associate
whitecrook said:
I have been looking for the 400FSB 3200 XP chip. Can I get a new one anymore?

I too, currently have a socket A 1GB Athlon 1900XP and am looking for a decent upgrade path. It's looking more and more like a complete system rebuild though.

No you cant get socket a any more amd dont make them

Associate
Quantic said:
Hey guys,

I currently have 1gb DDR ram, X800XT PE card, but only an AMD Athlon 2800XP. Now I have the feeling that the CPU is seriously bottlenecking my system so looking for an upgrade but a bit confused. I can't put an AMD 64 chip in my board can I? (A7N8X mobo) and they don't do 3200+ chips any more for my board. So would you recommend an AMD 64 capable mobo with a 3200+ chip? Or something that supports dual core?

Cheers!

If you want dual core go for the 3800+ and overclock it with the dfi mobo

Permabanned
OP
Ok, if I went for the X2, would the fan I have for my 2800+ be OK for it? Is it just a straight job of attaching the new fan over the new X2? Or do I need thermal paste or something?

Permabanned
OP
kinggost said:
i think you can only get the dual core it retail packing so you will get a hsf in it the the mobo got the retention bracket with it

Ahhh right, so the retail pack will have everything I need to install it! Great stuff! Thank you :D

Associate
jsut remember that if you buy an X2, you will need a new motherboard too (no one else has said this, and I don't want you buying a chip that won't work with your motherboard)

To work with the majority of new AMD processors, you will need a socket 939 Motherboard. Socket A is about 2 generations back.

If you have the money to upgrade, I would personally go for an X2 as they are likely to be able to run for a while with their dual core capablities. You will also need a socket 939 motherboard that supports dual core processors (most new ones do, just check before you buy) If you only want to upgrade the processor, you going to have to buy a 2nd hand Socket A processor!

Back
Top Bottom