Catalogues & Credit Checks

Permabanned
I used to be in the financial industry a few years ago, and always understood from training that ordering catalogues (whereby a credit check was carried out), would (although not significantly) affect your credit rating.

Now I understand that this is a suitability check and to safe guard the catalogue company, and for this reason, companies like you to be 18years of age or older, but if I choose to order from the catalogue and only ever pay by debit card, have they affected my credit rating unnecessarily?

Permabanned
It's if you get a credit check and get DECLINED for credit, then that will affect your rating. If you get a check and ACCEPTED then it won't affect the rating at all.

Soldato
Quantic said:
It's if you get a credit check and get DECLINED for credit, then that will affect your rating. If you get a check and ACCEPTED then it won't affect the rating at all.

Thats not true.

The only way them looking at your credit file affects it is that it gets recorded that they searched and you applied for credit. If you apply a lot for credit within a short period it may raise alarm bells that you are in financial trouble. More than 3 searches within 6 months is usually the accepted limit although this will vary a lot.

As for a declined check affecting you, the outcome of the check is never recorded, it will be something else on your file that caused the issue.

After 6 months (maybe 12, cant remember off the top of my head) the search is removed from your file.

Back
Top Bottom