Organic fruit & Veg - Anyone else buy it/Like it

Soldato
Have been getting Organic fruit & veg delivered "Fresh from the farm" now for a few months and I have to say, the produce does taste considerably better than the standard fruit and Veg in the Supermarkets... and it is a LOT cheaper than the alternative Organic produce also sold in Supermarkets.

To be honest, I did used to think the "Organic" thing was rubbish, having tried it for a few months, I now know that thought was wrong.

Soldato
Usually everything I come across that is organic I find better than your normal supermarket produce.

Organic/freerange bacon and sausages are always a lot better too IMO.

Man of Honour
I used to sell organic fruit & veg boxes (Fairs Organics) to a lot customers but dropped them due to too many complaints about the quality of the products. It was never about the taste, just the bruising, longevity & general appearance of them. Odd what people get used too:)

Soldato
My parents always buy organic/local produce from the local farmer's market. I have carrot sticks in my lunch every day, and the difference between the carrots from the farmers' market, and carrots from a supermarket is amazing. They're so much tastier.

Loads cheaper than supermarket fruit & veg too, but you have a more limited choice, based on what's in season.

Soldato
OP
JohnnyG said:
I used to sell organic fruit & veg boxes (Fairs Organics) to a lot customers but dropped them due to too many complaints about the quality of the products. It was never about the taste, just the bruising, longevity & general appearance of them. Odd what people get used too:)

Its the consumers who are at fault really, we are the ones who demand that fruit and veg can be kept in our homes for 2 weeks and looks PERFECT when we buy it.

Fruit and Veg are a natural produce, how can they be made to look the same shape and size?

Does nobody find it "ODD" that foods purchased now last a LOT longer than foods purchased 20 years ago.. surely something isnt "Right" - LOL

Soldato
Yeah, we've been using www.farmaround.co.uk for about 6 months. Completely agree that it tastes a lot better than supermarket crap. Some veg more than others to be fair - carrots in particular are a lot nicer (and they dont glow!) , but I honestly cant tell any differecne with potatoes. One of the main reasons we do it like this though is they send you whatever is in season, so you tend to try stuff you otherwise wouldnt buy. As for perishable dates etc, we just make a nice vat of vegetable soup with anything we think we wont eat in time.

Soldato
Gimpymoo said:
Fruit and Veg are a natural produce, how can they be made to look the same shape and size?

Just like everything else in life we create stereotypes of items and the "bruised" goods are somehow defective in some way, probably people think they are past their sell-by date.

Soldato
All my produce comes from local farm shops/markets.

Similarly my meat comesfreom a local butcher based on a farm with a good nearby slaughterhouse. The butcher won't let me have beef until it has hung for 21 days

Buying by "the side" means I get a fabulous deal on the price too.

Back
Top Bottom