pad for shooters

Soldato
I've been a PC FPS fan forever. I remember Quake 1 introducing mouse look and stated many times that there was no way on gods earth I'd get used to a controller for this format game.

I've been converted. COD2 was the game that did it and I'd stick my neck out now and say I actually prefer it. A big claim I know.

Now I can't speak for Quake4 but all I can say is stick with it and it will become second nature in no time.

Personally I like to invert the Y-Axis; but I did on the PC.

Good luck.

Associate
Like SMC, I'm getting there, I have always used a Keyboard and Mouse, even as far back as Doom around 1994, So thats a lot of practice.

However, the pad isn't bad, recently got PDZ and i'm playing through that and it's actually quite good, I do get owned at MP but having said that, I am getting better.

I see it as a new learning curve like when I first used a mouse for gaming.

THC_SsSsSnake said:
Does it get easier with the pad.
Im getting wasted in Quake 4 demo MP cuz Im like a fairy on top of a cake:)

Practice makes perfect. Thats all it is. Seriously in the last year I am about 900% better than I was this time last year.

One thing I always do is play the single player through on the hardest setting. It gives me a similar amount of leway as you would get from opponents online. Thus you have the oppertunity to master the controls and the weapons.

IMO just playing COD2 has dramatically improved my controlpad play. I had not really played Halo2 for about 2-3 months and I went back to it the other night and I feel like I have improved over my friends despite they have had more Halo2 practice (and I am no longer used to the shape of the Xbox control pad or the button layout)

Soldato
I would have to agree that playing COD2 on the 360's pad is actually better than playing it on the pc. I think this is down to the configuration which means zooming/ aiming is a lot easier as its one button press of the trigger and the other one shoots. For some reason I can not find a config I like for the COD2 demo on the pc.

Other FPS, however I still prefer on the pc.

Associate
I think it depends on how well the game controls for me. Some just turn so slowly.. by the time you look around, you're dead :p

Back
Top Bottom