Got my new lens

Soldato
So I got my 70-300is the other day but its been soooo dark have been waiting till the weekend to take some pics

Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated
bluetits.jpg

garden%20bird.jpg

garden%20birds.jpg

dod

dod

Soldato
That looks pretty good quality.

You're a bit too far away in the first couple and including the feeder doesn't make them look natural. Robin's the pick of the bunch for me although I'd be tempted to clone out the bit of branch beside the beak of the first one.

Soldato
Photo 2 : The bird must have moved as you took the photo, the branches are sharp but the bird isn't.
The Robin photos are nice but the White Balance isn't correct.

What is the minimum focus distance of this lens ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
dod said:
That looks pretty good quality.

You're a bit too far away in the first couple and including the feeder doesn't make them look natural. Robin's the pick of the bunch for me although I'd be tempted to clone out the bit of branch beside the beak of the first one.

Yes.... thats a lot better
hanningfield%20robin3.jpg

Soldato
OP
SDK^ said:
Photo 2 : The bird must have moved as you took the photo, the branches are sharp but the bird isn't.

I seem to get this a lot... :(
I have changed the focus point to the centre dot and I was focussed dirctly on the bird. Am I using too slow a shutter speed or am I just shaking a little?

Soldato
ashtray_head said:
I seem to get this a lot... :(
I have changed the focus point to the centre dot and I was focussed dirctly on the bird. Am I using too slow a shutter speed or am I just shaking a little?
I think you were just unlucky with that one. I've taken photos of birds (steady ;) ) as low as 1/80 and even 1/50 at 400mm and got decent results. Generally though 1/160 and higher produces sharp results :)

Associate
Nice shots, one thing ive discovered is that the trick to getting natural feeder shots is to watch the bird for a while, most will aproach by landing on a nearby branch first. As they are creatures of habbit they will usually use the same branch over and over so aiming at that branch will get more natural results.

Associate
omg no ones commented on the frankenstien duck in image 6.... im scared ill be having n'mares now!!! heh

nice attempts you've made, no technical wiz but i can see where you can improve. i would definately look at getting a tripod to use with that lens seems great though!

Soldato
OP
saddler said:
Nice shots, one thing ive discovered is that the trick to getting natural feeder shots is to watch the bird for a while, most will aproach by landing on a nearby branch first. As they are creatures of habbit they will usually use the same branch over and over so aiming at that branch will get more natural results.

ok, thanks will have a look at them more closley... should be easy enough cos I'm shooting from behind the patio doors....

Will get outside when it warms up!

Soldato
OP
undilutedethics said:
omg no ones commented on the frankenstien duck in image 6.... im scared ill be having n'mares now!!! heh

nice attempts you've made, no technical wiz but i can see where you can improve. i would definately look at getting a tripod to use with that lens seems great though!

I know! the duck is freaky!!! :eek:

I have got a tripod but aint tried it with this lens.... will have a go next weekend...... bah! that seems a looong way away :(

Back
Top Bottom