• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

overclock...yikes...

Associate
how reliable is cpuz for giving correct cpu speed?

ive just been farting around in my bios, and just whacked the htt on my new 3700+ SD up to 250 (left the rest alone- x11 multi etc), rebooted and its reading 2750MHz (maths checks out)

stock volts
stock cooling
29c idle

basically, somebody tell me im not dreaming...have i been blessed with a really really nice chip?

TG

Soldato
The new 3700+ is really good at overclocking.
Is it stable at that speed on stock volts?
Have you ran prime95 or s&m and memtest.

That is quite a good overclock if it is stable.

Associate
OP
priming it now- no problems so far....

cpu temp at load is currently sitting at 42c, so nice n cool too it would seem...

hmm...IF its stable (fingers crossed), i wonder how far this thing would go with decent air cooling and a few extra volts...

:D

TG

Associate
Don't suppose you happened to check the stepping?

I think it's the KAB3E Or something similar which are doing 3 on air orso.

Soldato
I got to 2.7ghz without even trying so far - will go for a bit more tonight and prime overnight. (3700 chip also) Stock volts and cooling also.

Associate
I managed to get my new 3700+ to 2.97 Ghz on stock heat sink at fan, had to change the vcore to 1.5 volts though :( its full load temp is 52C and its fully stable, but i have just clocked it down a little to 2.87 as i bet in summer if i dont have a new heatsink and fan on it will probably melt and i would forget to turn it down a bit, but these processors are great clockers!

Soldato
Will crank mine up a bit more hopefully tonight -

I am still struggling to understand the whole memory divider thingy!

My memory is PC3200 so as far as i understand that means it runs at 400Mhz.
My current overclock is 245 x 11 = 2.7ghz but memory is running as 245.4 Mhz
FSB Dram is showing CPU/11
Then 2.5, 3, 3, 7

Can anyone give me a bit more guidance with regards the memory what i need to do to crank that overclock further.

Associate
booyaka said:
Will crank mine up a bit more hopefully tonight -

I am still struggling to understand the whole memory divider thingy!

My memory is PC3200 so as far as i understand that means it runs at 400Mhz.
My current overclock is 245 x 11 = 2.7ghz but memory is running as 245.4 Mhz
FSB Dram is showing CPU/11
Then 2.5, 3, 3, 7

Can anyone give me a bit more guidance with regards the memory what i need to do to crank that overclock further.

First thing about RAM / Memory. You get your "DDR" speed from the HT speed x 2. So, when its saying its 245.4 its actually running at 290.8 which is almost PC4000.

A memory divider is used to reduce the speed of your RAM. In an easy to understand way, its sets a different HT speed for the RAM, so when its multiplied by 2, it doesn't go as fast.

As for the 2.5-3-3-7. Those are classed as your RAM timings. Once again, in simple terms, the lower the figures the better. If you want to clock you RAM, best bet is to 'tighten' your timings. You will probably want to start with your larger figures and bring them down one at a time and each time your do it, run memtest for a while to make sure it stable.

Read this and it should clear a few things up for you about your general overclocking-ness.

Agent. :cool:

Soldato
Thanks for the above - your link is the one that i used to overclock in the first place - very good guide.

Will need to read again - cause it just ain;t going in :rolleyes:

If i increase my fsb and leave the multi x 11, can i leave the RAM alone or do i need to play with that at the same time to increase CPU speed, and will i do any damage if i leave the ram as it is at this moment?

Soldato
Agent WD40 said:
First thing about RAM / Memory. You get your "DDR" speed from the HT speed x 2. So, when its saying its 245.4 its actually running at 290.8 which is almost PC4000.
Correction... 245.4 x 2 = 490.8MHz, but yes, that's almost PC4000 rated speed.

PC3200 = 400MHz (200MHz x 2)
PC4000 = 500MHz (250MHz x 2)
PC4400 = 550MHz (275MHz x 2)

They are referred to as PC3200, PC4000 etc due to the maximum bandwidth of the DIMM. PC3200 = max 3.2GB/s (or 3200MB/s), likewise PC4000 = 4GB/s.

The dual channel advantage of the socket 939 A64s is that you've got two memory controllers working in tandem, giving double the bandwidth (assuming you're using two matched DIMMS), so PC3200 dual channel = 6.4GB/s (3.2GB/s x 2), and PC4000 dual channel = 8GB/s.

Eventually, your memory will crap out when you're trying to push it too far. Your PC3200 memory, running at 245MHz (i.e. 25% higher than spec) is probably at its limit, certainly at the timings you're using.

To push your CPU further you will need to implement a divider on the memory frequency. Start with a 166MHz divider. This will reduce your memory speed to 83% (166MHz divided by 200MHz) of your HT frequency, in your case approx. 200Mhz (245MHz x 0.83), which is at spec speed.

A64s don't suffer from running the memory on a divider, so if you find you are crashing in games or Prime, then try this first. This will allow you to push your CPU to its max, which may be as high as 2.9GHz (~260MHz x 11). On a 166MHz divider, at 260MHz HT freq. your RAM will be running at 215MHz (430MHz DDR), giving you nearly 7GB/s bandwidth, and probably allowing you to run at decent timings without crashing!

Hope this helps.

Hav

Soldato
Bang on - cheers for that - understood. Thanks

A bit of a eureka moment when reading you post - suddenly the whole ram/divider thing makes sense now!!

Will take my new found knowledge to the bios tonight and see what happens!!! :p

Associate
Havana_UK said:
To push your CPU further you will need to implement a divider on the memory frequency. Start with a 166MHz divider. This will reduce your memory speed to 83% (166MHz divided by 200MHz) of your HT frequency, in your case approx. 200Mhz (245MHz x 0.83), which is at spec speed.

Hope this helps.

Hav

Hav, you been able to set up a divider on your Premium mobo? I haven't been successful at all, and i've tried so many different variations but i'm just running my RAM @ 1T with no divider and am limited by it.

Can you let me know how to set one up?

Thanks,

Soldato
Agent WD40 said:
Hav, you been able to set up a divider on your Premium mobo? I haven't been successful at all, and i've tried so many different variations but i'm just running my RAM @ 1T with no divider and am limited by it.

Can you let me know how to set one up?

Thanks,

Yeah, had no problems doing it.

Erm, not at home right now so can't be entirely sure I'm pointing you in the right direction but...

Pretty sure it's in CPU Configuration -> DRAM Configuration

The option you need is Max Memclock : DDR333 = 166MHz, DDR266 = 133MHz

At least, I think that's what it was - like I said, not in front of my PC at the moment.

Cheers,
Hav

Soldato
booyaka said:
Bang on - cheers for that - understood. Thanks

A bit of a eureka moment when reading you post - suddenly the whole ram/divider thing makes sense now!!

Will take my new found knowledge to the bios tonight and see what happens!!! :p

Wow, I inspired a 'eureka moment'

I'm glad I could help.

Hav

Back
Top Bottom