• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheap Ti 4200 replacement..advice plz.

Soldato
Hi there,

I need to upgrade the GFX card in my sons computer which has a pny verto geforce 4 ti 4200 64mb.

rest of system specs are:

amd athlon xp2500 (barton)
soltek frnl2 agp 8x
512 mb 333 ram
350w psu

he wants to play black and white 2 at high res.

I'm looking at around £40 - £50 for a new card.

I've seen a PNY Verto geforce Fx5500 8xAGP 128MB card and also the Sapphire Radeon 9550 128MB DDR AGPx8 which are in mt price range.

Would these cards be a good replacement ?

thanks.

Associate
Welcome

The 4200Ti is still a fantastic GFx card i was using one up until 6 months ago.

my advise would be the XFX GeForce 6200 256MB (which is £50) and maybe some more ram

as above, give details on what u mean by High-Res

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe look for a fx5900 (at very least) or a 6800 agp (if thats possible within your budget) as those would be best, i'd totally advise against buying new fx5500 series or the 6200 nvidia series, those cards may have features with them, but they just wont give enough power.
did the ti4200 run the game ok or ? if it did have slight framerate issues then maybe look into a Ti4600 which is abit better than the Ti4200 but shouldnt cost a lot (maybe £30)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies so far.

By high-res, i meant at 1024x768 it could be smoother but he can't use all the extras like shadows and bloom etc...

He's played it on my computer (ati radeon 9800pro agpx8) with all the graphic options on and set to high and wants the same graphics quality on his computer.

The other alternative (which i would need to up my budget) is to put my 9800 pro in his computer and get a suitable replacement for my computer.

My specs:
amd athlon64 3500 939pin (artic cooler)
abit av8 3rd eye
1024mb golden dragon 400
550w psu

If i go this route i need a suitable card that wont break the bank (ie the wife doesnt know), maybe something like a geforce 6600gt ???

cheers.

Soldato
New 9800 Pros seem to be harder to come by these days, so I'd suggest looking around for a second hand model either here on Members Market or elsewhere.

Although the card is no longer the latest, for the kind of budget you're looking to spend I don't think you will be able to beat the performance from a 9800 Pro and it should still be able to play most of the current games.

Hope this helps.

Associate
plasmahal said:
Thanks for the replies so far.

He's played it on my computer (ati radeon 9800pro agpx8) with all the graphic options on and set to high and wants the same graphics quality on his computer.

The other alternative (which i would need to up my budget) is to put my 9800 pro in his computer and get a suitable replacement for my computer.

Don't be so tight. Swap computers with him!

Andy

Soldato
OP
andyportess said:
Don't be so tight. Swap computers with him!

Andy

Ha..Ha....

It aint gonna happen.... ;)

He has enough time already and what am i gonna play all the nice games on.

I think it's generous enough to get his gfx card replaced as it is....LOL. :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the offer, and i can't see a member sellers area either (unless it's under another forum heading).

I'm looking at a purchase from a retailer so i have some comeback if there are any problems, so don't be offended.

I don't really want to consider certain online auctions sites either.

but thanks again.

Soldato
i got a ti4200 128mb its still a good card runs need for speed most wanted at 800x600 with some details at max, no aa and low car reflections.

im after a new card now to replace the ti4200 so it can push the game to 1024x768, would be good if there is something out there for 50 quid or so that can offer more power.

Soldato
Here i some info i found online from an etailer (dont think i can state due to rules) but may be helpfull.....

Customer Reviews Of Radeon X1600PRO

amazing
quite impressive. runs UT2004 flawlessly on full settings. great value
Upgraded from xtasy Ti4200. Huge difference. Havent tried to OC, will wait a while

Fast card!!!
Able to Play Doom 3 (high res), Nascar (max res), Call of duty 2 (max res)..
Really suprised at the way this thing handles games... Verty impressive for the price!!!

Fantastic for the money
open GL 2.0, 256mb ram, and 12 pipelines for a great price!
Plays BF2, COD2,HL2,and FEAR smooth.

Great!
This card is the way to go if you are looking for a sub-mid range gaming card. It can play most of the current games on high setting. Pair this with an AMD processor and you'll rip apart HL2. Haven't tried to OC this, but not planning to anyways.

Man of Honour
plasmahal said:
Thanks for the offer, and i can't see a member sellers area either (unless it's under another forum heading).

You need to have 250 posts & be a member for a minimum of 90 days before you gain access to members market mate , all is listed in the FAQ.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
x1600 does not have 12 pipelines, its more like 4 pipelines i think.