system unstable under 25c since going RAID

Soldato
Ever since I went RAID I have had a cold bug problem:
When turning my PC on after its been off for a few hours its really unstable, with random crashes including blue screens, RAID unable to find hdrives & self resetting.
I have to turn the water cooling off & wait till the CPU hits 25c & m/b is 30c before it will boot stable.

Anyone any ideas ? ta

Associate
sounds like your chipset is FUBAR. Does it have a custom cooler on the mobo. Despite the fact this happens at low temps doesn't mean it's not overheating. If the case temp reads low and your fan is plugged into a case fan slot, the fan will spin slowly and may let your onboard chips get a bit too hot. MOST mobos stock coolers have a 2pin connector direct to the mobo.
Once the case has warmed up and airflow has increased things may well settle down again, this would also happen with a passive cooler which is totally dependant on case airflow.

Edit: this may also be a PSU issue. If your PSU doesn't like the cold then it could be undervolting, this will have more severe effects on your CPU and Memory/memory controller if your system is overclocked.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Doubt its the mobo as it can run with or with any fans inside the tower (without any fans only for 30mins though), a bit concerning that it could be the PSU as i've already replaced it once & paid extra for 580w as the previous 530w gave 10.5v on 12v rail.
Perhaps Tagem PSU's are poo ?.

Associate
Yeah, or at least that line/ batch. Go to ******* or ******s and pick up the PSUs, then make a note of the one that's heaviest. Heavy = big heatsinks and capacitors = good steady output. Tho i suggest you then put it down and buy off the net cos twould be silly to be ripped off.

For heaven's sake, please read and abide by the rules.
Berserker

Soldato
OP
I asked OcUK sales staff at the counter which PSU they recommend & they say Tagem.
Guess its best do your own research.
May be OK in summer when room temp is higher when first turning PC on, lol.
I have read that Seasonic are the best ?

Associate
For efficiency yes. Depends what you want. I'd rate Seasonic over Tagan any day though personally.
The only issue i have is i have a large case, and the S12 480W because it's so efficient it doesn't get very hot, so the fan don't spin up and thus case airflow suffers. so for a big case extra chasis fans are needed.
I used to have a superflower 520W quad fan, that was an awesome PSU, but they've all but disappeared barring overseas orders.

Soldato
OP
High temps are not my problem, lol !
I'll see if I can find another PSU to test.
Guess with dual cpu, ram, graphics and now hard drive, somethings gotta go wrong, perhaps I should get another PSU to supply my fans etc, lol.

Back
Top Bottom