Recommend me a TV please and some questions on Freeview...

Soldato
Hi guys,
I have a nice sound set-up for home cinema (well I am happpy with it at least :)), but the TV is a bit long in the tooth.
(A Panny CRT 32" WS, one of the first 32" sets out when I got it) is still going strong, but the picture just isn't up to modern standards.
So I was possibly looking to change this.
I know very little about Plasma and LCD TV's, or the lifespan advantages/disadvantages etc.
So with a budget of up to max 1K what would be a good choice ?
Hoping to get around 36" or better, with 2 minimum preferably at least 3 scart inputs, possibly asking too much ?

This will be paired up with my existing sound set-up of:

Pioneer DV-464 DVD player
Pioneer DVR-3100 DVD recorder
Pioneer VSX-D912 Reciever
KEF Q80 Fronts
KEF Q15 Rears
B&W CC6 Centre
M&J Reference 100 Sub
(Yes you might notice I like pioneer :p)

Secondly, I have decided to get rid of sky and have freeview, is the picture quality any better (I notice compression artifacts in several sky broadcasts)
And which is the best freeview box for picture quality under £100 ?
It needs to have the card slot for the extra channels, also needs 2 scarts, one to go to TV one to DVD recorder.

Sorry to be so newbish, but I haven't been keeping up with visual progress ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
How about keeping you Sky box and card, when you cancel Sky your card will revert to a Freeview card and you can pick up all the Freeview channels plus more via your Sky box.
The extra channels are £7.99 and are a rip off. It's only 4-5 extra channels at any one time as they time share. So don't worry about a card slot.

Saves you £100 or so too!

Soldato
OP
Well as well as the cost issue, the fact my sky box is playing up also influenced the decision ;)
I need the extra channels for Eurosport and UKTVGold as they are what we watch most.

Forgot too mention ... I am open to suggestion on all TV types, just need some input as to advantages/disadvantages of LCD and Plasma over the CRT.
Fast action on motorsports and films will be important, so anything that can't deal with that smoothly isn't an option ;)

Caporegime
That Freeview box is very old now, and was never anything special. The Humax receivers are highly regarded.

Soldato
Tesla said:
How about keeping you Sky box and card, when you cancel Sky your card will revert to a Freeview card and you can pick up all the Freeview channels plus more via your Sky box.
The extra channels are £7.99 and are a rip off. It's only 4-5 extra channels at any one time as they time share. So don't worry about a card slot.

Saves you £100 or so too!
Actually I moved away from a freesat setup to freeview because you dont get E4, E4+1, More4 or More4+1 on sky without a subscription, and I happen to watch rather a lot of their programming, something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom