What documents/important things should I keep in my car?

Associate
Hi guy, I just got my first car on the weekend and I was wondering what documents I should be keeping in there.

I was also wondering about first aid kits and blankets. What do you guys keep in your car safety wise.

Soldato
Nothing at the moment apart from a bottle of anti-freeze.

When I get my money back on track, I'm going to lose the spare wheel and keep a small toolkit, torch, fire extinguisher, can of tyre weld, jump leads and vital fluids in there.

Associate
OP
I was going to buy the Haynes manual for the car too, I'm not intending to do any servicing on it, but I thought it would be useful, just in case.

I didn't think you were supposed to keep the V5 in there incase the car got stollen. Got my cover note and my plastic photo licence.

Don
Important things:

Jack - Self explanatory
Tyre Iron - See above
Warning triangle - Make them see you first
First aid kit - Can stop a minor injury turning in to a major one
Window smasher - In case of being trapped in the car
Fire extinguisher - Can stop a minor fire from turning in to an inferno
Disposable camera - For photographing accident damage, plates of other parties etc.
Roll of gaffer tape - For securing trim after a minor accident

Associate
What Riot said and...

Can of De-Icer (for winter times)
Scraper (for winter times)
De-misting cloth (for winter as my car takes 10mins to clear if it's very harsh weather)
Spaire fuses and bulbs (can buy kits which come with the most common types in)

Soldato
For me its:

Car manual (not the full folder bit, just the booklet)
Copy of my insurance documents
Breakdown cover details

I keep a few bits like oil, bulbs, fuses, de-icer, coolant, screen wash and obviously the means to change my wheel.

I'd say get a wheel brace, basically a handle to put the wheel nut onto which makes removing wheels considerably easier than using the one supplied with the car (in my experience anyway)

Caporegime
Always in car:

AA Card
De-Icer
Spare wheel / Jack etc
Insurance docs
All books that came with the car
Service recipts
Spare bulb kit case one fails and i get pulled over
Torch

Things i bring with me:

RAC Card
Mobile phone (Camera included)
Drivers licence
Money

Soldato
Freefaller said:
You're supposed to keep a copy of insurance, licence, v5 forms... I never do. I just keep the photocard bit of my licence on me. I've got a small first aid kit too.

You should certainly NOT keep the V5 in the car!

I don't carry anything apart from the photocard which happens to be in my wallet.

Only things I carry are:

Disposable camera in case of an accident.
Warm coat
Fire Extinguisher

Soldato
I think Freefaller just meant a copy of the V5..I know I wouldn't leave the original one in there. I have a disposable camera, gotta remember to put that in the glove box as well.

I've got a decent sleeping bag and an inflatable air bed as well :cool:

Associate
OP
Looks like I'm popping to halfords after work then. I have full AA cover which means I would be using that for changing wheels and lights bulbd (I assume the cover would do that too).

Associate
Yer would expect the AA cover does Lou, though you should be able to do both those yourself and save the hassle (and costs) of makeing a claim and call :p

Soldato
Nothing.

I know I should carry my license but I don't want to loose it.

I think when I get a car again, i'll buy a dissposable camera, pen and paper just in case of an accident.

Man of Honour
Muncher said:
You should certainly NOT keep the V5 in the car!

I don't carry anything apart from the photocard which happens to be in my wallet.

Only things I carry are:

Disposable camera in case of an accident.
Warm coat
Fire Extinguisher

I said copy. I.e. photocopy or print press or whatevver copying process you care to choose ;)

I'd never have any of that info in the car, it seems silly to have all that personal info about you in your car.

One thing I forgot to add was of course:
spare wheel
jack
basic tool kit
spare bulbs

I really ought to get a small fire extinguisher - unfortunately space is a bit of a premium for me. Gaffer tape is a good call.

I have a disposable camera in my glovebox, as I don't know if they'd accept evidence from a mobile phone camera.

Soldato
Car manual
Breakdown cover details
Important insurance details
Pen & paper
Jack
Tyre pressure guage
Spare wheel
Tool kit with everything I would need to a certain point
UK map
Maglite

Then I always carry my mobile which has an inbuilt camera. I then just normally have my wallet which has my drivers licence inside it.

Thinking about it I should really start taking the Haynes manual with me also then it will make doing any jobs easier.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ukadder said:
Yer would expect the AA cover does Lou, though you should be able to do both those yourself and save the hassle (and costs) of makeing a claim and call :p

I'm a "typical" girl though, I don't want to get my hands dirty but if it happened in the middle of the night I would rather get out and change it myself than wait around for an hour for the yellow men to turn up.

Going to look for a guide on how to change a wheel and a bulb incase I ever need too :/

Associate
loopylou said:
I'm a "typical" girl though, I don't want to get my hands dirty but if it happened in the middle of the night I would rather get out and change it myself than wait around for an hour for the yellow men to turn up.

Going to look for a guide on how to change a wheel and a bulb incase I ever need too :/

It's kinda cute in a sympathetic puppy eyes way. I believe the Haynes manuals detail how to change wheels/bulbs and all of those sorts of things, and they will be writen directly for your car. May want to buy a torch as well if it's dark.

Soldato
Ukadder said:
It's kinda cute in a sympathetic puppy eyes way. I believe the Haynes manuals detail how to change wheels/bulbs and all of those sorts of things, and they will be writen directly for your car. May want to buy a torch as well if it's dark.

The Haynes manual does cover such things with pictures to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom