Usb 2.0 Not detected??? with xp sp2

Soldato
Hey there guys now i have never really been fussed with usb 2.0 until i bought a external hard drive. I plugged everything in fine powered my computer on and up popped a "this device can perform faster when plugged into a usb 2.0 port" (or something like that), now after checking my device manager it indeed reported than no enhanced usb ports were installed :confused: , so i went back to my motherboard cd to install the drivers as i thought i may have forgotten about it after a re-formatt, but when trying to install the 2.0 drivers it aborts the installation saying that i have windows xp sp2 installed so therefore i don't need to install them. so i'm at a loss here as i have no way of installing the drivers?

Permabanned
as of SP1, Windows XP has had generic USB2 drivers built-in.

This might sound a bit risky but, go into Device Manager, and uninstall all the devices under "USB Serial Bus Controllers". Then reinstall them by scanning for hardware changes in the Action menu.

Before you use this brute-force method, chack to see if any of your USB controllers have question marks of exclamation marks. If they do, only do the above to that device. If you do have to do a complete rescan of your USB devices, its probably wise to be using a ps2 mouse and keyboard while doing so!

Soldato
OP
hmmm mite give this a shot, Rebel could be right in saying i need to install usb 2.0 before sp2, i was thinking of uninstalling sp2 but i get a whole host of programmes that mite not work properly so decided against it, i have a new dfi board coming early this week so mite just do a complete re-formatt and install usb 2.0 before sp2.

Back
Top Bottom