Latest version of the MG ZR?

Soldato
Hi,

Someone I know has just got the 105ps 1.4 MG ZR. Now i have next to no knowledge of them, does anyone know what they are like at all? He got a 54 plate one with 7500 miles on the clock for £6500 by the way.

Don
they aren't great but can be decent value at some of the prices being offered around , unfortunately £6500 is not one of those decent prices

Associate
MG ZR is basically a Max-Powered Rover 25 to-order. Second-hand prices have bombed so it looks like he didnt hunt around or he got it from a dealership. To be fair tho, for what they are, they arent that bad (could be a corsa / nova / fiesta :eek: )

NOTE : They are quite nippy, but dont have a high top-end (as proved when one shot away from my missus at the lights, and she caught up a few miles later on the motorway in her Rover 216Si :)

Soldato
sniperpenguin said:
NOTE : They are quite nippy, but dont have a high top-end (as proved when one shot away from my missus at the lights, and she caught up a few miles later on the motorway in her Rover 216Si :)

You don't think that in those few miles the driver might have backed off at all?

Soldato
I've got one, its quite good and much better value than anything I could have got at the time. Build quality isnt Rolls-Royce or anything and a couple of bits or interior trim have fallen off but its fine. Mine has actually gone up in value since I bought it so i'm happy!

Soldato
Seems a tad pricey, prices bombed when they went bust, and the lack of the warranty from the dealerships closing is a real problem. I owned a ZR for 2 years and just about every bit of trim that could break did. Shocking quality. British engineering at its best!

Soldato
roboffer said:
Seems a tad pricey, prices bombed when they went bust, and the lack of the warranty from the dealerships closing is a real problem. I owned a ZR for 2 years and just about every bit of trim that could break did. Shocking quality. British engineering at its best!

So glad i bought a french car instead. :p

Soldato
I had a 2003 MG ZR 105+ before the Audi. I sold it because things just kept going wrong with it. 6500 is not such a good deal.

I would not bother if i was you.

Soldato
saitrix said:
Well Paras, too late my friend already has bought the car, he is doing insurance quotes, lowest so far is £2400 right now he has found!

Another reason i didnt buy thr car, twice as much to insure as my vtr neede a tracker, and to boot slower as well what a joke. :D

Awaits comment, omg he bought a car without checking insurance quotes first. :p ^^^^^^ rofl

It was silly though. ;)

Soldato
do you want a list. My friend (who is a mechanic thank god) this is just what I can remember.

Gear box blew up twice full and lost a tooth off reverse and 2nd gear (4 seperate occaisons 3 boxes (I have a piece of one of them).

Window winder snapped inside the door (bad weld) had to push the window up every few miles.

Alarm goes off every 5 seconds (nothing to do with above as window now fixed and still does it)

Power steering pump.... twice

On top of that... they handle like a boat but are as quick as a few 1.6's but cost a small fortune to insure so no benefit there. Oh and the inside mings and bits keep falling off. (passenger seat is like a rocking chair).

As you can tell I dont like them much, would have spent my cash on something else. Dont mean to sound harsh but I do have evidence! He had a rover 25 before that and had gearbox/interior issues with that one he should have learnt from his mistakes!

Soldato
OP
Yes he did buy it without insurance quotes. :p It does seem it was a bit of an impulse buy really.

So really my 1.6 Focus Zetec isn't that much worse and my insurance is £1500?

Soldato
saitrix said:
Yes he did buy it without insurance quotes. :p It does seem it was a bit of an impulse buy really.

So really my 1.6 Focus Zetec isn't that much worse and my insurance is £1500?

Focus's were more to insure for me also so they were scrubbed of the list.

Back
Top Bottom