Getting a bit annoyed about someone on e-bay

Soldato
Recently purchassed a phone 4 days ago and the seller still has not got in touch with me. The seller received the money instantly. Previously I have purchased items and received shipping confirmation within one day from other ebay...tailers. Payments were made by paypal.

Anyway, I did a little digging on the internet-electoral roll and managed to get his old address and phone number from when he was living with his parents. To add a little pressure (in case the guy is simply ignoring me) I have rang his mother and explained the situation to her. I am just sitting back and waiting to hear from him hoping this will make him think twice about conning me.She is expecting him 2 visit her in the next couple of hours. Incidently, he has used his mother's address by way of postcode to sell the itmem 2 me, which is why it was my first port of call. Have I done the right thing?

Soldato
OP
just the standard electoral roll but online. Just do a google for it :)
Amazing what you can find from a simple post-code. I even know the value of his mother's house lol. Though this was gained from other search engines.

Don
Many sellers treat everything as automated and don't send much, if any, comms out , wouldn't worry after 4 days , if he doesn't send it Paypal will refund you anyway

Permabanned
A lot of sellers don't send shipping confirmation. You're well out of order to ring his mother after just 4 days IMO.

edit - and two of those days were a weekend for godsake!

Last edited:
Associate
I waited for about 1 month before on one item. Emailed the seller about three times with no reply. Again having paid instantly through Paypal. As the item was only about 4 or 5 pounds I decided to just leave it and not risk a blob on my 100% feedback. A few days later it turns up. Never got an email from the seller, perhaps he was on holiday or misplaced the item. Give it another few days mate, i'm sure he'll post it now you've stung his mummy :--}

Soldato
dirtydog said:
A lot of sellers don't send shipping confirmation. You're well out of order to ring his mother after just 4 days IMO.

edit - and two of those days were a weekend for godsake!

Agreed, ebay states you have 7 days to SEND the item, and after that however long it takes to go through the postal system.

Admittedly he should have sent some kind of correspondance. But what if he had to go away suddenly etc?

You say you paid via paypal - well he doesn't receive the money instantly. Paypal does and holds it. It's far from his at this stage. He then has to withdraw it from paypal and this takes 5-7 days, so its not like he even has your money yet.

I'm sure you dont need to be told that Paypal favours the buyers in disputes anyway.

How much feedback does he have?

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and whereas I mostly contact winning bidders, sometimes I can't or forget. If one of them were to ring my parents up after FOUR DAYS then I would be tempted to burn the item at the risk of my ebay account.

I think you need to read this:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/isgw-buyer-protection-steps.html

Soldato
OP
I know I hadn't mentioned this, but, I needed to get in touch with the guy because the responsibility for paying the postage was mine. I hadn't got a clue as 2 how much it would be and so I guessed at about five pounds and then realised I might have underfunded the transaction by one-pound-fifty. I explained this 2 his mother so that she and the seller would not be alarmed by the call. ;) I had also sent him some e-mails 2 which he did not respond.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah 4 days is to early to start to worry about getting your item, unless it is stated next day delevery in the description, he has probably sent it to you anyhow, if all goes pearshaped you can do a paypal chargeback.

Soldato
OP
In retrospect I do believe you are right. I was just a little anxious because it was a mobile phone and his rating was low. Anyway I have spoke 2 him now and everything is fine and dandy. :)

Soldato
hey i hope you get your stuff.

Just been done on said site myself. Bought a laptop for near £300, the guy BS'd me for around 2 weeks (yeah really sorry mate, ill send tommorrow honest etc etc) till i got fed up, his paypal 10 days are up tonight then i spose ill get back just under half the money i was scammed out of :( Moral of the story? Never buy an expensive item on said site when paypal buyer protection isnt offered (gves you a no quibble guarantee of £500 from paypal)

GL getting the phone matey, sure it'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom