Ram To RMA or Not To RMA.....

Associate
Basically have just done a new build pc with all parts from ocuk. I went with some G-skill ram 3200 hz kit I think was the exact name. 2gig dual channel blah blah.

Anyhow on another post I mentioned how I couldnt get the pc working without an ntfs.sys error, but i had a hunch and took out one of the chips and it all installed windows xp fine. Runs fine and the world was a happy place on only 1gig. Now I obviously want to boost the performance sticking the other chip in, but whenever I do windows hangs, reboots randomly, freezes up etc. I take it I can easily assume this ram is causing the problem?

Also would anyone know if I have to send both parts of the dual channel kit back or just 1gig of it, as I would ideally like to keep using the pc!

Do I rma through OCUK or direct also?

Many thanks!

Associate
i think you would have to send the whole kit as its a dual channel package.

as far as who to RMA to, check OCUKs site - sometimes it says to contact the manuf direct

Associate
Have you tried both modules on their own to see if they both work? What mobo do you have?

If both modules are working individually i suggest a BIOS update. This was quite a frequent occurance with Ultra-D mobo's with the shipping BIOS.

Associate
OP
I have only tried one on its own to be honest. I am using the two orange slots also, does this affect it? What I will do tonight is try the other one on its own for a while then. Where do I get an updated bios and is there any particular version that might not like the ram, not on my home pc to see what bios i have atm!

Thanks for the idea though.

Soldato
I had a similar situation with my Ballistix Tracers modules, they were not a 2GB kit as such, but both 1GB sticks had been working until one day I was getting BSOD's, reboots etc etc

Individually they worked OK, although one of them did tend to cause a couple of crashes here and there.
Turned out one was faulty.

Try running memtest86+ on an individual stick for no less than 4 hours. So do one stick first, then after you've tested it, remove and replace with the other and do the same.

If they both do not report errors in that time then it is unlikely the RAM at fault, and could be down to the slots your using, or the BIOS version.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :)

Associate
Orange slots are good. Assuming it is a DFI you have you could try the 623-3 which is compatable with a good range of RAM. Go to www.dfi.com for this or the latest version which came out not long ago.

At www.dfi-street.com someone has made a custom Boot CD image with a range of BIOS including their own custom one which is very popular. Included on the CD is a flash utility to make things easy. Also look at this...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17532049

Soldato
You have to return both sticks for OCUK to RMA as the manufacturer will also want the dual channel kit back.

Had exactly the same thing happen 2 weeks ago with a Corsair 2GB matched dual channel kit. 1st returned the faulty stick only for it to be returned to me the next day so then had to send both of em back and buy a cheap 256MB stick to get by on until the RMA was replaced for a new kit (which thankfully worked fine).

Associate
OP
Well i updated the bios to 623-3 and then put the ram in and it seems alright, as suspected they both worked fine alone. Last night with the 2 gig in i left pc on and have run fear for a while with no problems, so hopefully its all ok.

Thanks all!

Associate
NP. For some reason a lot of people here never consider a BIOS update to solve problems like this. It's very common, on DFI boards especially, to need to try various BIOS to find one that works well with any particluar set-up.

The custom BIOS doing the rounds on dfi-street is very popular and enables the use of the yellow slots too, for those having RAM/HSF clearance issues using the orange slots.

Back
Top Bottom