Sigma 18-200 DC

Associate
I am looking to buy a general purpose lens and have come across this as fairly good value. I have a 300d with the basic 18-55 lens and a 70-300 lens.

Anyone got this lens and can it be recommended?

On a digital slr, is it a true 18mm-200mm or does it equate to 28.8mm-320mm in real money?

Soldato
have heard pretty bad things about both this and the Tamron equivalent. The AFAIK the only really decent walk around with decent range and wideness is the Canon 17-85 IS USM although it's a lot more expensive.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

You have heard bad things? What kind of things or do you have a link to website that is reporting these?

I did look at the 17-85 is but the price put me off initially. I may have to wait and save up abit more!

My wife has the 28-135 and is a very nice lens but I would like to have a minimum 28 wideangle. (works out at 44.8mm on digital)

Associate
I have the Sigma dg 28-200mm and i have had no problems with it what so ever. Really good for a walk about lense. I was actually recomended this lense by some of the guys here on the forum.

Its produced some really good pictures for me, nice and sharpe, bit soft at 200mm but thats what i expected. Good feel to it and also good buld quality.
:)

Associate
OP
howell80 said:
I have the Sigma dg 28-200mm and i have had no problems with it what so ever. Really good for a walk about lense. I was actually recomended this lense by some of the guys here on the forum.

Its produced some really good pictures for me, nice and sharpe, bit soft at 200mm but thats what i expected. Good feel to it and also good buld quality.
:)

Is it this one? Cos at £155 it is affordable for me now! :)

http://www.cameradepot.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/CameraDepot/54031/1/1

Is there a difference between the DC and DG model?

Also it is a true 28 wideangle or does it get multiplied 1.6x?

Associate
OP
howell80 said:
That will be the one!
Here is a link with some info on DG/DC
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/support/abbriviations.htm
I think it may get multiplied by 1.6 not to sure dude.

this also may help
http://www.millhouse.nl/digitalcropfactorframe.html

Good focal range for the money imo
happy hunting

Thanks for the links. I think the 28-200 will be x1.6 which is a shame! Looks like i t will be the 18-200 DC if I can find someone who has got it and thinks it is ok or save up for the canon 17-85 is

Soldato
AndyBorzi, please dont post links to competitors. OcUK sell cameras.

The 18-200 is not a bad lens by any means. Its just that there are certain compromises with such a wide range of focal lengths.

Associate
I spent quite some time considering the Sigma 18-200, it looks like a pretty good lens, however, I decided in the end that the hassle of two lenses was worth the extra IQ, so went with a 70-210 & 15-30 instead.

Back
Top Bottom