• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to make more sck 939 dual core CPUs?

Associate
Was wondering if this generation of skt 939 processors is at an end - as that would affect my next upgrade. Anyone have any idea whether AMD are to make more skt 939 cpus?

Soldato
I don't think you have anything to worry about just yet, I can see Skt 939 being around for the next 5 years at least. Afterall the 64bit applications, Operating systems are just taking off and some are still in the early stages. TBH this is proerbly the year where 64bit goes gold ;)

Associate
I can see Skt 939 being around for the next 5 years at least.

I doubt that, surely they will focus on M2 and phase out 939. As soon as M2 is less expensive than 939 no one will buy 939. If M2 stays more expensive than 939 they aren't going to get a quick return on the work that went into the new memory controller

939 was surely there attempt to get a good grip of the market as the first 64 bit cpus

Soldato
mysticsniper said:
I don't think you have anything to worry about just yet, I can see Skt 939 being around for the next 5 years at least. Afterall the 64bit applications, Operating systems are just taking off and some are still in the early stages. TBH this is proerbly the year where 64bit goes gold ;)
erm AMD wont be making ANY more products on the 939 socket... they MIGHT make some value stuff, but theres NO way its going to be around in 5 years time.

Soldato
amd have said they will be supporting the 939 socket into 2007 so they will be making more processors - they have confirmed it themselves. how fast they will go is another matter.

Soldato
they will not be making new products though, just they will keep pumping out the current 939 range... maybe without the FX's and dualcores

2007 isnt that far away is it, its like 10months away... 10months life left in 939 then ;)

Soldato
true - i could have sworn i saw somewhere that they said they might release some of the 90nm chips on 939 though, unless i dreamt it (which is quite possible)

Soldato
Hi,

I have read that AMD will be phasing out the socket 754 (Sempron) line and replacing it with socket 939 Semprons (or similar).

Dual-Core Semprons maybe? :)

Soldato
I'm hopeful there will be more Dual core opterons as there will be an installed semi professional base of socket 939 who AMD will need to service.

AD

Soldato
aardvark said:
true - i could have sworn i saw somewhere that they said they might release some of the 90nm chips on 939 though, unless i dreamt it (which is quite possible)

You sure you weren't thinking of the 65nm chips instead, like the new Intel ones ;)

Soldato
aardvark said:
isn't the fx-60 the only 90nm chip?

No. For the standard A64, the Winchester, Venice and San Diego cores are all 90nm. For the Sempron, Palermo (and maybe another, I forget) is 90nm. All dual core chips - Manchester and Toledo - are 90nm.

90nm has been on Socket 939 for way over a year now, if not closer to a year and a half. You must be thinking of 65nm ;)

Edit: Beaten to it.

Back
Top Bottom