So may call it crazy...but I think it sounds like fun.

Associate
I am planning on doing the Mongol rally this summer (a race from London to Mongolia) in a car with less than a 1L engine. Does any one have any suggestions? Basically looking for old bangers that are cheap and have a small engine. Would be cool if it had a soft top. Any 4x4s?

Soldato
Hmmm...

ba_1_b.JPG

Bayage

Soldato
media

£250.

media

£295

media

1993 DAIHATSU CHARADE 1.0 TD CX 5dr Diesel Hatchback,
113,000 miles, grey. 1L diesel turbo. very rare car. very economical 70+ mpg! 4 months M.O.T, 3 months tax. £350. ono

Soldato
i can vouch for the charade diesel, my dad loves that engine and has two in the garage! 5 quid of diesel would last us all week, a completely unmoddified one was in the guiness book of the records for the round the uk, mpg challenge, no mean feat, as its timed and also on all kinds of roads.

Soldato
Subaru made a 650cc 4x4 car ( i think it was 650 cc)
We had one while the legacy was in for a service years ago.

Top Gayness!

Soldato
atpbx said:
Subaru made a 650cc 4x4 car ( i think it was 650 cc)
We had one while the legacy was in for a service years ago.

Top Gayness!

vivio! should have been supercharged too? colin mcrae did the paris to dakar in one :D

Soldato
Citroen 2CV? Cheap as chips, easy to repair yourself, good at off roading...

And most of all - common all over the world, lots of people still drive them in the countries you'll be driving through, so if it does go wrong, chances are high that a local mechanic will be able to help you out. That's worth thinking about.

Associate
A friend from my cinquecento car club is doing it and I went to last years rally start at Hyde Park as well as doing some research myself for maybe a shot at 2007.
Diesel is scarce over there as well as good quality petrol. Also you’ve got to remember the environment you’ll be travelling in and so it's favourable to have a car many people in that region know and will know how to fix/have parts for because you WILL break down :( .

Also you should need to think of fitting new suspension to any car you get as it will take a hammering over the Mongol ruts (most of the fragile 2CV’s and Morris Minors that made it to Mongolia literally broke in half within a country from the finish).

You want an eastern European tub such as a cinquecento, 126, Trabant, Lada or any other commie box from the 80’s – mid 90’s. A Japanese Kei car just won’t hack it I’m afraid.
Also forget about a return journey unless you want to be gone 6 weeks so don’t get a nice car. One team last year set out in a brand new looking MK2 bubble micra which they left in Mongolia though they did make it.
If you want to gamble for Japanese reliability in exchange for not being able to have parts to fix it in a scrape, get an older car like a MK1 micra or a small engined 4×4 like a Suzuki SJ.
Pleeease don’t take another classic Panda 4×4 to it’s grave as they are getting rare but take a bog standard one by any means but they are Italian built so harder to fix when you’re in somewhere like darkest Russia with a vodka swilling mechanic.

Other tips are take as much fuel and spares as you can carry, thermal protection as it gets cold on Mongolian nights and sleeping in the car is likely as well as plenty of foreign money/vodka to bribe the police as they will stop you in Russia for no reason frequently.
If you want nutty, maybe try a Daihatsu Hi-jet campervan but you’re screwed if it breaks down and needs a specific part.
Could also try a Reliant Robin. It’s been tried every year but nobody has yet made it through France; go against the odds :D .
A co-driver and basic specific car mechanical knowledge is also vital. I’m sure you know half this but you gotta realise the degree of a challenge this will be.

Associate
OP
Guys thanks for the replies!!!!!!

I think the reason for having sub 1L engines is too make it a bit more ...uhhh....fun. Well its in the rules anyway.

The first thing I looked for in terms of cars was a old Eastern European Box but all theiry engine are too big. I would ideally like to take a Lada of some sort but their engine are all too big (unless I am missing something of that sort). I guess a Lada Niva would be the best choice. I do want an open top though...would be extra cool.

As for the Trabant. We have actually owned one (late 80s in Bulgaria) and they are awesome. But I am not sure I would like to do this in car made of cardboard. Plus I am not sure I would be able to find one for sale.

I am also having a look at Pandas and I will have a scount for other cars you suggusted.

What is this sub 1L Subaru that was mentioned?
oh and thanks for the info CaneyJ! Good stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom