Need Advice

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Right, there's this HUGE camel spider...

okay, basically, i'm in the second year of my GCSE's, and doing okay.
i took:
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Religious Studies (mandatory)
Triple Science
ICT
Resistant Materials (DT)
History.

i'm quite mechanically minded and don't really want to do an IT-type
profession (too common).
i really want to be something like a Mechanical Engineer. (proper one, not
some car-mechanic jobbie)

Anyway, the time of choosing my AS's is looming, and i was wondering what i
should take?

I'm set on taking Physics (love it)
and thinking of probably doing maths too.

the problem is, the college that i'm going to doesn't offer a straight DT AS/A
course, the closes thing they do is Art and Design (out of the question)

my other choices are Economics, Buisness studies, Photography, Further maths (no way) Art (that too) and History.

what should i do? if i don't do a DT-type AS/A level, will i be stuffed in that respect?

thanks for your help people :).
Dan.

Soldato
Aod said:
the problem is, the college that i'm going to doesn't offer a straight DT AS/A course, the closes thing they do is Art and Design (out of the question)

If the college doesn't do the course you want, can't you go to a college that does?

Aod

Aod

Soldato
OP
its SO much more complicated if i do.
the college i'm going to is part of the school i currently go to, and therefore i'm
basically already offered a position. its a very good school, lovely facilities, but no DT course.

which infuriates me, because they have more than enough equipment. they have a Lathe, and a Laser-cutter, and a mill, and...

*sigh*

Man of Honour
I'm doing Mechanical Engineering currently at the University of Birmingham. For a degree in Mechanical Engineering, ideally you want Maths and Physics, and maybe Further Maths to give you a very good advantage. I did AS Maths plus Engineering VCE 12 Unit, so I've had a lot of workshop / engineering experience compared to some people I know.

You are in no way stuffed by not doing a DT based subject, as you'll do a lot of maths + physics and general skills based stuff in your first year. The majority of people I know probably just did Maths, Physics + English / or another Science, and they're all doing fine. There isn't that much to do with DT style courses, and the vast majority of stuff you would need is either taught to you, or you go out and find it out yourself.

Add me to MSN if you want to know more about Mech Eng, or wait for some more Mech Engers out there :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom