Everyone is afraid to criticise Islam

Soldato
OP
Gilly said:
Think there's been plenty of criticisms here.

Not read the link yet, thats just my initial reaction.

It's about general reaction from people in power, i.e. politicians, media, etc.

It is discussed quite early on when the newspaper tries to argue the point that Islam has the right to defend itself against libel etc.

There are a lot of things people will not openly critisize. IMO all political correctness and equal rights has done has made everyone feel victimised in one way or another and it is usually done by making being a majority and celibrating being the majorty wrong. It also makes it wrong to point out anything you disagree with in any minority.

Its all a bit silly if you ask me.

Ex-RoNiN said:
It is discussed quite early on when the newspaper tries to argue the point that Islam has the right to defend itself against libel etc.

I think islam has the right to defend itself against libel. Those charactertures were fairly libalous imo. They were certianly blasphemious, I'm not sure if that is a crime in this country but it is in other european countries

Last edited:
Permabanned
Kronologic said:
I think islam has the right to defend itself against libel. Those charactertures were fairly libalous imo. They were certianly blasphemious, I'm not sure if that is a crime in this country but it is in other european countries
You cant libel the dead and Islam isn't a legal entity like a company or charity so it cant be libeled or sued

Soldato
all religions have this kind of fanaticalism, ESPECIALY christianity, but tbh threatening people because you dissagree with things is WRONG, be it Peta, Islamics or anyone else for that matter.

Soldato
I'm not Islam sucks. Every relgion sucks bar christianity ;) Plus I hate the looks of Islamists, the make me feel edgy like I should check there turbantors for bomber dogs.

Soldato
NiCkNaMe said:
I'm not Islam sucks. Every relgion sucks bar christianity ;) Plus I hate the looks of Islamists, the make me feel edgy like I should check there turbantors for bomber dogs.

LOL

Permabanned
Permabanned
I've no problems with criticising Islam or indeed any other religion. It's all part of freedom speech which is a good thing! The only problem I have is with the "OMG *** MULIMS ARE ALL SUICIDE BOMBERS THAT CAN SHOOT LAZER BEAMS OUT OF THEIR EYES!!!!!!111oneone" mentality that seems to have swept the country lately.

Caporegime
NiCkNaMe said:

Maybe you should be careful of the sikhs then eh??, they wear turbans as well ya know and have been mistaken for muslims as well ;).

I dont think anyone should be afraid to criticise a religion whether it be islam or whatever religion, as long as they show some common decency and respect when questioning it. It should work both ways ie muslims should be able to handle the criticism without resorting to violence or bombings etc.

Soldato
Spawn said:
Maybe you should be careful of the sikhs then eh??, they wear turbans as well ya know and have been mistaken for muslims as well ;).

I dont think anyone should be afraid to criticise a religion whether it be islam or whatever religion, as long as they show some common decency and respect when questioning it. It should work both ways ie muslims should be able to handle the criticism without resorting to violence or bombings etc.

Surely if youre questioning it seriously, its hard to show respect?

If I thought it was a huge sham, along with other organised religions then its hard to be respectful. In effect id be labelling the whole thing a lie.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Balddog said:
Surely if youre questioning it seriously, its hard to show respect?

If I thought it was a huge sham, along with other organised religions then its hard to be respectful. In effect id be labelling the whole thing a lie.
Surely such questioning can be intelligent and politely presented, though? Even if you don't believe religion is anything more than myth and formalities, wrapped up in mysticism, you can still express that view without being gratuitously insulting or offensive?

I mean, as simple examples, .... "I'm sorry, but I can't accept that there is any sound logical basis for religious belief" is different from "Are you totally stupid for believing in such a pile of utter horse**** as religion". And that is without making direct attacks against the honour of those the religious believe are Holy.

Is not one respectful and the other unneccesarily offensive?

Permabanned
Sequoia said:
Surely such questioning can be intelligent and politely presented, though? Even if you don't believe religion is anything more than myth and formalities, wrapped up in mysticism, you can still express that view without being gratuitously insulting or offensive?
Which is missing the point entirely. The issue is what to do one one tradition says somethings Ok and the other finds it offensive. Are you suggesting that the more restrictive viewpoint should take precedents? Cos compromise is difficult to achieve when one side, or part there of, is unable by their interpretation of their tenants to be flexible on an issue.

Soldato
Sequoia said:

I mean, as simple examples, .... "I'm sorry, but I can't accept that there is any sound logical basis for religious belief" is different from "Are you totally stupid for believing in such a pile of utter horse**** as religion". And that is without making direct attacks against the honour of those the religious believe are Holy.

Is not one respectful and the other unneccesarily offensive?

Thats just manners.

Youre still essentially saying the same thing. That their entire belief structure is a false one.

Back
Top Bottom