File Sharing over network problem

Soldato
I have had this problem since I first set up the network, I have set up the network and can see my other pc and can copy some files.
A lot of the time the files will not copy, it will say 'access denied, the file is in use or write protected'. It only does this with mp3's or applications, I can copy all photos and word documents fine.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

Soldato
OP
No, the other pc is just on the desktop with nothing open.

I can copy the files from the pc im on to the other pc, but not from the other pc to the pc i'm on, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
i'm going abit mad here but i think you cant copy files *i think* if you have them shared on a p2p program. i could be wrong however..

Soldato
OP
Some other files don't copy either - AVG, Google Earth, Adaware and these have all been downloaded off the internet (not p2p).
Some mp3's will copy but most won't.

Associate
i'd put my money on file sharing not set up properly on the remote PC. Are they in "my music" under a user profile with a password? If so, you can't really do much without XP Pro.
Also if your coppying install files it'll work, if your copying the app folders they won't work cos there might be registry values or other little hidden bits using them.

Soldato
OP
I'm currently using a firewall but i've tried it without one and it still didn't work.

I have XP pro and the music I was trying to copy was in the my music folder. The system doesn't have any extra users set up and there is no password.
I'm not copying the the application folder, just the install file for it. The install files that won't copy are in different folders and none of them work (my documents, desktop, c: drive).
sniperpenguin said:
look at the access permissions on the folders. Also, if you are on a wireless network, connections can "drop out", meaning the copy fails.
Everythings ticked to let me copy the files.
I'm on wireless but connection drop outs are not the cause as it won't even start to copy.

Associate
think your OS might be whacked on that PC.
Have you checked that file sharing is enabled in windows firewall generally and not just on the network adapter. Then make sure the folders are shared if that doesn't work it's probably the OS gotten a bit messed up.

Back
Top Bottom