IT department of Law firm

Associate
Morning all.

Just a query regarding working in the I.T. support department of a law firm. Ive heard from friends that working for top class law firms may pay quite well but that the people you are supporting can be really obnoxious and extremely rude at times.

My missus has been offered the aforementioned position at a law firm in Birmingham.

Has anyone worked in a similar position and what was it like? Is what Ive heard from friends true?

Im kind of hoping its not, for my missus sake :)

Soldato
Ive done short term stints in some of the big ones in the city and its hit and miss tbh - yes they can be demanding but no more so than others I think. Plus they have large budgets which helps with infastructure etc :)

Associate
Well if it helps I just walked out of one. It could well be the very same law firms Manchester office :p

I couldn't stand it, will never work in IT support again. Luckily it was only to fill some time of by late gap year.

Soldato
yep, their rude an obnoxious, and thats only dealing with the cps lawyers lol.

Nah some are ok, but they do feel their on a different level to yourself. And that rubs me up the wrong way, but hey it pays the bills and you get to work on some decent kit.

Associate
OP
Shes pretty tolerant of rude people and judging by what Asprilla said, I think her ITIL qualification and responsible attitude will definitely come in handy.

I have a little experiance with City workers (insurance and banking)

They are very, demanding and expect a high degree of results. Ususally they pay well based on this demand/requirement.

Its odd in my experience Solicitors have never been that prompt and delivered to time with their customers. Its odd that they expect it within their own offices.

Associate
OP
Yeh ITIL is gradually becoming the industry standard now and if most IT departments were run this way, Im pretty sure most projects wouldnt go over budget or behind schedule. Im contemplating whether or not to go ahead and do the next level, got my foundation level last summer. I might be able to get into more of a Team Leader/Helpdesk management role that way at least.

Judging by the responses in this thread it seems she'll have to be pretty thick skinned IF she accepts the position.

Back
Top Bottom