BR Tax Code - How to change

Soldato
Hi all,

I seem to have been on a BR tax code for about a year, but I only have 1 job. Anyone know which number to contact to get this sorted? Ive looked on the HM Revenue & Customs web site, but theres loads and loads of numbers!

Thanks in advance

Man of Honour
Nismo said:
Contact the Inland Revenue?
Erm, I think thats what he's trying to do, but there's so many contact points, hence the comment about the amount of numbers there ;)

I reckon the PO might be a good place to ask advice.

[edit]
Help

The address and telephone number of the office that holds your records is on your coding notice. If you have a general enquiry you can contact any Inland Revenue office.

You can get copies from any Inland Revenue office.Some libraries and Citizens’ Advice Bureaus also have copies of our leaflets, but may not have the full range.

The notes in this booklet explain the entries on your coding notice, but these leaflets can help you check it in more detail.

* IR111 Bank and building society interest. Are you paying tax when you don’t need to?
* COP1 Putting things right. How to complain
* IR121 Income tax and pensioners
* IR170 Blind Person’s allowance
* IR172 Income tax and company cars
* FS1(MCA) Married Couple’s allowance restriction

More information is available by visiting the Leaflets pages.

Don
Nismo said:
Contact the Inland Revenue?

I would never have thought of that ;)

he's right though , I know it sounds odd but I have always found the IR to be easy to deal with and efficient ( especially at taking my money )

Man of Honour
Nismo said:
Sorry, just realised that HM Revenue & Customs and IR is now the same thing, has that changed recently as when I had to contact them they just fell under 'Inland Revenue' :confused:
They merged towards the back end of last year (well, officially it was the 1st of April last year)

Soldato
Gilly said:
They merged towards the back end of last year (well, officially it was the 1st of April last year)

That will be it then, not had to deal with them in a while so missed that this had happened.

Associate
Usually I'm on BR cause they IR THINK I have two jobs, have you given in all your old P45s? That's always sorted me out.

Soldato
I had exactly the same situation as you last year. You need to do the following:

Contact your accounts/payroll department and find out which tax office process your tax. For some mad reason, Glasgow handled my tax even though the company I work for is based in Liverpool.

You will then speak to a tax officer who will process your claim. You may need to provide supporting evidence as to your total earnings within the last tax year/investigation period they specify.

The reason I was on BR was I was self employed when I started work for my company and did not tell the tax people I had ceased to be self employed. Dozy accountant didn't spot this....for THREE YEARS! I got one hell of a rebate last year though!!!

Soldato
OP
Youstolemyname said:
I had exactly the same situation as you last year. You need to do the following:

Contact your accounts/payroll department and find out which tax office process your tax. For some mad reason, Glasgow handled my tax even though the company I work for is based in Liverpool.

You will then speak to a tax officer who will process your claim. You may need to provide supporting evidence as to your total earnings within the last tax year/investigation period they specify.

The reason I was on BR was I was self employed when I started work for my company and did not tell the tax people I had ceased to be self employed. Dozy accountant didn't spot this....for THREE YEARS! I got one hell of a rebate last year though!!!
mmmmmm rebate. I wonder if I'll get one and how much for. I cant work out if Ive been on a BR for one or two years. I think its actually two years now.

Soldato
You should get a rebate, at the very least it will be 22% of your basic tax free allowance which is normally £4740 a year, so you'll get over £1000 a year you've been on BR. It will be a bit more than this becuase the there is an amount taxed at 10% as well - can't remember how much off the top of my head.

I'm surprised its taken you so long to question it - unless you're on mega money it makes quite a significant difference to your take home pay.

Soldato
A[L]C said:
mmmmmm rebate. I wonder if I'll get one and how much for. I cant work out if Ive been on a BR for one or two years. I think its actually two years now.

Depends on how much you earn. Tax brackets for 04/05 were:

up to £4,745 tax free
between £4,745 - £6,765 10%
between £6,765 - £36,145 22%
over £36,145 40%

BR is 22% tax so you will have been paying 22% tax on all earnings with no tax free allowance. You should get at least a grand back if you have earnt over £4,745.

/lol edit- phone went and i didnt see the post above mine as i was in the reply box.....what he said :D

Soldato
OP
I earn 24k a year...blueboy, I dont know why I didnt spot it earlier tbh, im very naive (sp) about things like that. Just kinda take it that my pay slip is correct each month. :S

Soldato
Sounds like your companies wage dept sucks really. The IR should have given you a refund at some point but quite often they will just keep the money till you ask for it back. The IR centre you will need is the one where your companies accounts are lodged, their home town. It might say this on your wage slip.

BR is an emergency tax code for when they dont have one for you, either that or they think you are fraudulent.

You should receive a tax summary for the year just after April ? Its possible you might have this fixed automatically this may or so if you want to wait that long, they do pay a decent rate of interest if its been over a year they have owed you

Back
Top Bottom