Plasma

Caporegime
pinkaardvark said:
Plasmas don't support 720p resolutions fully ie 720 is 1280 * 720 and most plasmas can only manage 1024*768 at best so your off to a bad start to begin with.

So, so, so misinformed.
Plasma's support upto 1080i quite easily.

Also, colour and image depth is better on a Plasma screen. Screen burn is quite hard to get really (permanent anyway) and would require a vivid image parked on screen for around 5 hours (Plasma's usually have a screensaver feature anyway. Xbox360 dims).

The only thing you don't use a plasma on is for a PC monitor.

I have been using a Sony 42" Plasma for over a year now and it's still awesome.

Soldato
How much is a comparable 42" LCD?

I got rid of my HD LCD and went for an SD plasma. Image quality and especially color reproduction walks all over the LCD as an all round entertainment device (ie DVD playback etc).

IMO LCD is great as a bedroom set where you might not have the room for a big plasma, or where is going to be used exclusively for 360/pc related stuff.

I've already said on here that I consider HD to be largely hype - most people are getting a wow factor from it because of the type of image, ie VGA sharpness with vivid colours compared to a CRT TV. You get the same effect with an SD plasma at 480P, and in some games you get the advantage of a better framerate (NFSMW for example)

Soldato
Depends on your budget and space limitations. You cant beat 42" of gaming goodness but if you dont have the room or you sit very close a 32" LCD may be better for you. It also depends on what useage the TV will get. If its general TV/DVD/360 then I'd definitely recommend plasma.

Associate
Dutch Guy said:
... and I think a HD Plasma is much more expensive than a comparable LCD
Find a 42" HD LCD for the same price of a 42" HD Plasma - and then repeat it for a set that comes anywhere close to the same image quality of the plasma....I think it may take you a while ;)

Want > 32"? Plasma is the only sensible option IMO

Soldato
I got my 42" HD samsung plasma at xmas from dixons in their xmas sale for £999 (its in the 360 setup) it does 720p 1080i and looks absolutely stunning. Newer plasmas have screen burn technology so the pixels get rotated and you dont get screen burn.

Ive left mine on the same screen after i fell asleep and the program ended for 6 hours, and it didnt burn.

Absolutely fantastic, and compared to my 26" LCD upstairs, the quality is far far superior.

cmt

cmt

Suspended
The resolution issue is largely irrelevant as you can choose the resolution on the Xbox 360.

In my case (panasonic Pv500 42" HD Plasma), i just set the Xbox 360 to the native resolution of 1024 * 768 and all was sweet.

Of course you need the VGA cable for this to work.

cmt

Caporegime
The scaler on my PW6 is fantastic, its an amazing looking screen imho and the 360 looks superb on it, my screen is just over 14 months old and i've had 0 issues with it, i've also noticed Panasonics don't seem to suffer from screen burn at all.

I've seen several lcd screens on demo and my screen wins hands down, the colours look great and not washed out.

Soldato
Spider said:
Find a 42" HD LCD for the same price of a 42" HD Plasma - and then repeat it for a set that comes anywhere close to the same image quality of the plasma....I think it may take you a while ;)

Want > 32"? Plasma is the only sensible option IMO
Okay, I was a little wrong, is this any better:
A Plasma is better for >32" and a LCD is better for <32" :confused:

Soldato
if you're looking at 32" then it will have to be LCD as plasma's start at 37", and yes, it can double as a PC display (make sure it has VGA or DVI) but the resolution will be lower than you'd expect on a dedicated PC monitor so the text will be bigger.

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
The scaler on my PW6 is fantastic, its an amazing looking screen imho and the 360 looks superb on it, my screen is just over 14 months old and i've had 0 issues with it, i've also noticed Panasonics don't seem to suffer from screen burn at all.

I've seen several lcd screens on demo and my screen wins hands down, the colours look great and not washed out.

I've had one of these for a couple of years and I must say I am pleasantly suprised with the quality output from the 360, it looks superb. I'm going to have to change it eventually as you cannot get a HDMI card for it, but for the moment it is more than adequate for my needs :)

Caporegime
Rojin said:
I've had one of these for a couple of years and I must say I am pleasantly suprised with the quality output from the 360, it looks superb. I'm going to have to change it eventually as you cannot get a HDMI card for it, but for the moment it is more than adequate for my needs :)

When i change i will upgrade to a 50" + something, would like to stick with Panasonic so whatever they are pushing out in two years i will take a look at, i've invested in two component input boards for mine after being gutted with the free scart board, VGA input is good quality but i'm considering swapping the Scart board out for a DVI card.

Soldato
Yeah the scart is poor. I have a component board and use a rgb scart switcher connect to the VGA input via a JS RGB - VGA convertor, works pretty well.

I really like the Panny 65" HD plasma, absolutely stunning. Sadly don't have the room for it though!

Back
Top Bottom