Unable to overclock opteron

Associate
Hi, ive read the overclocking threads and stickies and all from other sites too but i must be doing something wrong, can anyone help?

I just got my new pc up and running today and installed all virus software and got internet working, now i am trying to overclock. specs:
opteron 146
asus a8n32
ocz pc4000

This is what i have done so far, i went into bios, didnt touch anything else except put memory to T1 instead of auto, and increased HTT by 1mhz incriments. my system refuses to post after 4 measly mhz! so instead of 2000hmz it only goes to 2020! i have to take out the battery in the board! what am i doing wrong? because i know opterons go to 2800.

Soldato
What is the cpu temp?

What PSU do you have and your full specs. The psu might not be good enough to power it when overclocked.

edit: You have set it to only increase the cpu speed, not the pci-e speed as well.

Associate
OP
temp is about 32degrees same with mobo. i have a zalman on it.
power is antec truepower 2.0 550w
250gigs caviar western digital sata.

i mean is this normal? am i meant to do something to the ram or can u just jump straight in? or is this very unusual?

Associate
is it 2gb ram? If so, it might not like the CPC on (1T). Leave it on 2T, put it on a divider (to make certain) and just up the HTT. With A64 high HTT and tight ram timings are argueably better than high HTT/high FSB/loose timings.

Once you have found the max HTT/clock of the processor, then work on the ram (take it off the divider and find the sweet spot with fsb and timings).

Associate
OP
thanks guys. i cant find the divider option in the a8n32 ive tried all day. its probably hidden under something till i choose manual. im on the 2gigs ocz platinum pc4000 at 3-3-2-8. is this too fast for it or something? but even still, its rated up to 250mhz and im only at 204mhz right now.

Associate
OP
yep. just realised my multiplier was set to x8 standard??? its meant to be x10 for my chip. dunno why it was like that. that might help, it might not.

Associate
OP
hey its working its working! i found the multiplier too. pretty bad bios, everything is hidden or named weird. im on HTT 210! wish me luck! lol ill post back when i hit a wall and let u know how i went

edit: aw my god, its hung at only 2250. what is wrong with this piece of ....

any ideas? im on 166 divider, T2 ram, x10 multi

Last edited:
Associate
malccy said:
Have you checked that your 'cool n' quiet' thingy is switched off?

Would that make a difference?
Is it s'posed to be switched off (for o/cing purposes)?

Also, the memory at 2T for 2gigs, is that a standard thing?
I have 2gig with 1T and can only get my 146 to 2.6, would changing it make a LOT of difference?

Sorry for hijacking btw.

Associate
00fil00 said:
what is ldt? havent heard of that.

what is the hypertransport/LDT multiplier set at?

I doubt your board handles much more than 1000MHz hypertransport, and its effects are negligible at that level anyway so cut it down.

You said HTT is at 210MHz, if the stock multi is 5x that gives 1050MHz, so you're on the edge.

Associate
OP
i think theres something seriously wrong. even autooverclocking which the motherboard has built in up to 10% causes windows to load then restart just before desktop. is my power supply broken? antec 550w truepower

Soldato
The AI overclock is never worth bothering with, so don't worry about that.

The LDT multiplier (at least that's what it's called on my A8N-SLi Premium) is referred to as the HyperTransport Frequency in the BIOS. This multiplier works with the HTT to achieve the overall speed of the HyperTransport link. Default is 1GHz (200 HTT x5 =1GHz HyperTransport) so you need to factor this in when overclocking. Lower the multiplier to 4x, then you shouldn't need to worry about it until you hit around 250 HTT, at which point it then needs dropping to 3x.

There is normally a bit of headroom in the HyperTransport bus but I'd still give that a try anyway.

Soldato
These are the bios settings for my A8N32:

Jumperfree configuration

AI Overclocking Manual
CPU FSB Frequency 310
SB to NB Overclock Manual
SB to NB Frequency 200
Adjust PCIE Frequency 100
PEG link mode Normal
Over-voltage cpu vcore Enabled
Over-voltage NB vcore Enabled
Over-voltage SB vcore Enabled
Over-voltage Hypertransport Enabled
DDR VCORE 2.65V
FID/VID Change Manual
Processor Frequency Multiplier 9X
Processor Voltage 1.325 (this gives you around 1.525 with overvoltage option enabled)
DDR Clock Skew Auto

Disable ECC
Memory Configuration

Memclock mode Limit
Memclock value 133
Timing mode Manual
CAS Latency 2
TRAS 5
TRP 2
TRCD 3
TRRD 2T
TRC 9
TRFC 24
TRWT 2 CLK
MCT Extra timing mode Manual
TREF 15.6
TWCL 1
R/W Queue Bypass 8
Bypass Max 4
Idle cycle limit 16
Dynamic idle counter Enabled
DDR driving strength Normal
Enable 32-byte Granularity Disabled
TWR 3 CLK
DDR input strobe skew Disabled
User config mode Manual
Read Preamble 9.5ns
Asyc Latency 11.0ns
Bank Interleaving Auto
Burst length 4 beats
Hardware memory hole Disabled

Chipset

K8 to NB Frequency 3
K8 to NB linkwidth 16/16
SB to NB frequency 3
SB to NB Linkwidth 16/16

Soldato
hey mate not sure if the bios is any different to the A8V delux i have and you should be possibly looking to change the divider which is found in the memory settings and u have to have the top couple options checked, called something very random but cant really remember what. and you will then get a divider option appear. also u have have to turn down the hypertransport from 1000 (x5) to something like the 800(x4) or 600(x3) to help with known issues with overloading the bus. hope this helps. good luck

Soldato
pmbuzz said:
Would that make a difference?
Is it s'posed to be switched off (for o/cing purposes)?

Also, the memory at 2T for 2gigs, is that a standard thing?
I have 2gig with 1T and can only get my 146 to 2.6, would changing it make a LOT of difference?

Sorry for hijacking btw.

My mobo is about as stable as a chocolate tea pot with 1T ram timing..

Once i set it to 2T is stable :D

Associate
OP
can anyone help me with my overclock? im stuck at memory. these are my settings so far. maz HTT isnt a problem, the board goes way past 300 i stopped testing. max cpu is 290 stock voltage, im running it 280 for 2.8ghz. cpu multiplier is x10. DDR voltage is 2.8v LDT is x3. this all works fine with memory out the picture prime95 stable for 14 hours. when i set memory to divider of 183 or even 166 the system hangs. why? my memory is OCZ platinum pc4000 3-3-2-8. my calculations this system should run the memory at 255mhz which is fine isnt it? and even if its not, why is it failing with 166 divider making it 233hmz??? argh help.

Associate
OP
just tried again, even at cpu 2500mhz with divider 166 the system crashes and the monitor goes into standby. its something about the memory as everything else is fine until i take memory off t2 and divider 100

Back
Top Bottom