• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The difference between resolutions?

Soldato
I'm guessing here hd format lcd's (tv's) are set at 1078x768 so I should at least aim for a card that would support that. At least it would be high definition. Other peeps will no doubt elaborate further ;)

Associate
OP
You need to capture at the same or higher res than you want to view the video at.

Thats kind of what I mean, I dont know how differing resolutions look for video capture. The video that will be being used is mainly for uni presentations so I would like quite high quality capture. What would be the most suitable resolution for doing this?

Soldato
The best you can capture a DV tape is in DV-AVI which is uncompressed and has a 720x480 resolution and is 200Mb/minute so an hour is 12Gb

But obviously you can convert this to almost any resolution/quality as you like depending on how big/small the file can be.

As for HD resolution I have no idea, but you need a HD source for that in the form of digital cable/satellite, a normal DVD or cable connection isn't HD resolution.

Associate
captain jack said:
Thats kind of what I mean, I dont know how differing resolutions look for video capture. The video that will be being used is mainly for uni presentations so I would like quite high quality capture. What would be the most suitable resolution for doing this?

You limited to what ever your output format is. If its VHS then its PAL res. if its using a PC then its the limitation of the screen/gfx card and overhead projector. Etc etc. You are also limited to what ever captured the video in the first place.

What equipment will be used to create the video?
What equipment will you showing the video on?

Associate
OP
The software that is going to be used is basic stuff like Adobe Premiere Pro and other basic Uni software. At very most it will be shown on digital projector (again standard Uni equpment) I dont know what the specs are on the hardware.

Associate
Well you'll need to know the specs to answer the question.

Not the capture card on the PC. Its dependent on the camera used to capture the video. Thats the limitation.

Back
Top Bottom