Accelarator snatching/sticking

Associate
Morning folks. I have a 1.6 M reg VW Golf. Whilst driving down the M42 from Birmingham to Stratford Upon Avon the car seemed to be chugging along fine. As I drew closer to Stratford the accelerator started to play up.

If I take my foot off it the car gives a slight lurch as though ive tapped the brakes. It then starts to slow down. In order to accelarate I have to push the accelarator more than half way down, it then gives another lurch but a lot more pronounced this time, and then starts to speed up. The cycle repeats if I take my foot off the accelarator.

Whilst this might not be such a problem at high speed, its pretty annoying and embarassing on a busy roundabout. When in lower gears and at lower speed the problem seems to get more serious. When at a roundabout I literally had to floor the accelarator to get the car to move and it was still lurching. Change to second gear and I still had to floor it or risk the person behind slamming straight into me.

This has happened before and the last time my dad sprayed some WD40 on the accelarator cable (am i right??), and it seemed to have worked. Whilst I can do the same, does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Any help much appreciated :)

Soldato
I had a similar problem last summer, turned out part of the cable was starting to frey and it was sticking/stretching inside its own housing.

Just bought a new one & swapped it over, solved problem completely.

Associate
OP
Ok cheers guys. Ill get it checked. I think Ill get serviced at the same time, cos this is my first car and I havent a clue what I should be looking for.

Back
Top Bottom