building my first PC

Associate
could someone help me with what I would need to build a PC. Here is what I would be using it for.

I am getting a digital camera and SD card for my birthday and will be taking thousands and thousands of photos with it (literatly) and a lot of home videos. I would be using the PC for the web and keeping all my CDs and DVD collection on. I will be using a lot of USB devices such as the digital camera, webcam, wireless network card, key board, mouse, scanner, printer, my portable HDD, and anything else I can't remember now. I would like to use two screens. I would be watching TV on it and watching DVDs on it. I would also be burning my home videos onto DVD. I don't really want windows as the OS but if there is a way to take away all windows programmes and change the start up screen and log on screen then I will be happy with xp.

here is what I think I will need, if I miss anything out please tell me:

Case
Mobo
CPU
RAM
HDD x 2 maybe 3 or 4
DVD-rw x 2 (so I can watch DVD and burn at same time or even burn 2)
SD Card reader
monitor x 2
tv out card
GFX card
USB card
Sound card
PSU
mouse
keyboard
printer
scanner
webcam
wireless network card

anything else I missed out?

I have some of these already so I will make a spec once I know everything I need for it.

many thanks

Murray

Permabanned
CPU heastink/fan
UPS/surge spike protector.
Speakers
Headphones
DSL router?
TV out-card is GFX card (if it has S-Video out)
TV Tuner/capture card
Multiway power block :D

edit USB card reader

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I already have a DSL router
what is a UPS/surge spike protector and Multiway power block?
would I use AMD or intel?

many thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok now I know what I need here is what I need from the list:

Case (maybe have)
Mobo
CPU
RAM
HDD
DVD-rw
SD Card reader
tv out card
GFX card
USB card
Sound card
PSU
UPS/surge spike protector.
TV out-card is GFX card (if it has S-Video out)
TV Tuner/capture card

here is what I already have:

HDD
DVD-rw
monitor x 2
mouse
keyboard
printer
scanner
webcam
wireless network card
CPU heastink/fan
Speakers
Headphones
DSL router
Multiway power block

many thanks

Man of Honour
Soldato
The CPu heatsink/fan bombo are probably specific to an Intel or AMD socket. If you already have one then and want to re-use it, you'll have to pick a CPU on the same socket.

You'd probably be better off picking a CPU that you want then getting a heatsink that fits it, rather than the other way around.

Also, you probably don't need ALL that stuff. If you're going for your first build might I suggest you go with the basics?

Soldato
dual displays are easy to set up... warning... once u get em you cant go back to a single monitor !! its like going back to the stoneage lol
if its not a gaming machine, and its more directed toward medi id probs say Intel... AMD for games though ;)

do you have a budget ??
Rick

Associate
OP
ok I wont be using it for games at all. I havn't really thought about it but I was thinking of buying parts every few weeks and put it together gradually. I want to make my own spec because I want to actually acheive something

many thanks for the help

Permabanned
Tallied up a very nice system, check for yourself all parts are the right ones. I like spending other people's money :p I think everything is there.

spec.jpg

Soldato
ninjaskull said:
ok I wont be using it for games at all. I havn't really thought about it but I was thinking of buying parts every few weeks and put it together gradually.

If you mean "CPU this week", "motherboard this week", etc, that's a silly idea - you'll pay more for the postage if you buy online, prices always come down rather than up so you'd be better off waiting, if something is broken on arrival you won't know for weeks or months and so can't return it, and there's really no point in having a half-built system sitting around.

On the other hand if you mean buying the extra monitor or extra DVD drive at some point in the future, then no problem.

Permabanned
Have to agree with PP, bit silly paying for some parts (especially those that depreciate) and not using them. Case, PSU is another matter...it's what I've done (those two cost £200) Until I can afford it just leave PSU/case boxed up - tested PSU of course. So once I've paid that off buy everything I need to finish off the PC.

Back
Top Bottom