Best way to warm the engine...

Soldato
There's aguy over the road from me who sits in his car and revs up his engine before going anywhere every morning, sometimes high and even revving it up and down occaisionally...

Would anyone else do this?

Soldato
I drive the car around keeping it under 3000rpm until im happy that the engine is warm.

I wouldnt of thought sitting static and revving the car is going to do it much good.

Soldato
Revving when cold will take a long time to warm it since there's no load, it will also result in a lot of revolutions when cold so more wear... bad idea then.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:
Would anyone else do this?

Because he is a moron? Revving an egine from cold is not good for it atall. Best way to warm a car up is just drive it, but don't rev it too hard for the first 10-15 minutes.

Edit: I wasn't quick enough :(

Man of Honour
We've had a thread on this a few times.

Best way to warm the engine up, is to drive without taking the revs up high. I tend to change at no more than 2.5-3k revs until the car has warmed up. Sitting there and not moving is not the best way to do it and doesn't do your engine and so on any good.

Soldato
I use thousands of those snap hand warmers that you crack and they heat up...

Slot those all around the engine/car... wait for about an hour. Take them all out and put them in water to be reused.

Yesterday i managed to get away in under 2 hours.

Soldato
from a professionals viewpoint, never get RAC to look at your car when its cold. My idle control valve went, and I called the RAC out, his solution was full revs, I nearly slapped him as I could hear this from inside my house. He then proceeded to find out how the inlet manifold worked by removing the air box and hose and sticking his finger down the throttle while pulling the inlet cable.

PS, I filled out the questionnaire they leave asking him to be sacked ;)

Last edited:

Pug

Pug

Soldato
i tend to not worry too much. Cerainly dont thrash it, but dont consciously keep under certain revs.

Engines are pretty durable nowadays (on new cars) and the days of treating them with kid gloves are gone imo.

Regular servicing, sensible driving from cold will be enough, you dont need to take things to extremes.

Depends on the car as well of course, just bought a 190BHP TSport Celica, redlines at 8.5k rpm, so taking it to 4 from cold is fine in my book...

Back
Top Bottom