Day of Defeat: Source - Free This Weekend!

Man of Honour
Looks Like Valve are being nice to all those people that have not wanted to fork out the cash for DoD:S without playing it.

Basically it's going to be free from 12:00pm on Friday (PST), so early Saturday morning for us I guess.

Those that don't have it, you can pre-load it now I believe and you'll be able to unlock it in the weekend.

Click Here for Full Story

Of course, after the weekend, it'll be taken off you, so don't expect to be playing it on Monday :)

Soldato
I'm not surprised it's going free after the commercial flop that it was (judging by the number playing it anyway). I'm glad I got it in the HL2 Silver edition and didn't pay the extra fee for it.

Associate
i think theyre trying to get the user base up as its a huge sleeper imho, it deserves a lot more than it gets. this is a great way to show people what it is for themselves. the thing that put me off buying it before was all the negativity surrounding it which comes from very closed minded fps players.
thank you very much for the info daveyd, im sure i can get it put to good use with a few friends and my brother :)

Soldato
Love having a good blast on DoD every now and again, got bored after a while because there was only 4 maps but now its been expanded i'll have another go this weekend when all the noobs log in.

Caporegime
Cool, always wanted to try this but don't have a CC and couldn't be bothered to hassle anyone else to sub me on it :)

EDIT: Shame it's only for the one weekend, even a week would have been better :)

Last edited:
Associate
chimaera said:
Love having a good blast on DoD every now and again, got bored after a while because there was only 4 maps but now its been expanded i'll have another go this weekend when all the noobs log in.

LOL good point imagine the score a seasoned player will get killing all us Noob's :D

Associate
Dj_Jestar said:
Cool, always wanted to try this but don't have a CC and couldn't be bothered to hassle anyone else to sub me on it :)

EDIT: Shame it's only for the one weekend, even a week would have been better :)

you got a debit card? try that, worked for mine :D

Soldato
Considering it takes a while to get into how a game works and plays, not to mention the layout of the maps + rush and choke points.. camping spots..

I can see a lot of people playing over the weekend getting annoyed that they die a lot, and then not buying afterwards.

Associate
KingAdora said:
Considering it takes a while to get into how a game works and plays, not to mention the layout of the maps + rush and choke points.. camping spots..

I can see a lot of people playing over the weekend getting annoyed that they die a lot, and then not buying afterwards.

i dont think its at all hard to get into/hang of.
its very simplistic in a great way. nothing major to 'learn', the maps can be learnt within a few rounds if that. and you can get your fair share of kills.
its basically kill other people and defend/take flags to win the round. the maps arent huge either.
i found it was one of the most new user friendly games ive played in a while, as long as you know how a team based fps game then youll crack it no worries.
the weekend is just to give people a chance to see the game in action instead of reading all the lame reviews of it im sure.

Soldato
is DOD multiplayer only like CS:S? or does it have a singleplayer storyline as well?
not that it matters just curious.
looking forward to trying it out, havnt and probably never will buy it though.

Soldato
fullfat said:
i dont think its at all hard to get into/hang of.
its very simplistic in a great way. nothing major to 'learn', the maps can be learnt within a few rounds if that. and you can get your fair share of kills.
its basically kill other people and defend/take flags to win the round. the maps arent huge either.
i found it was one of the most new user friendly games ive played in a while, as long as you know how a team based fps game then youll crack it no worries.
the weekend is just to give people a chance to see the game in action instead of reading all the lame reviews of it im sure.

My friend never played DOD before a few weeks back, I got him into it as a sniper and he is many orders of magnitude better than me with the sniper now.

He also picked up on the spots to be in and defend really quickly as well as being handy with the other weapons should we need to take flags :)

The younger counterstrike players from my experience have the most difficulty with DOD they simply can't get their head round tactics, from tactical less public (yes public is skillless imo in counterstrike where as clan/wars are incredibly tactical) games, they simply don't know what it means to hold a flank or wait till two teammembers are in position near the last two nme flags.

Or use of grenades, they simply throw them away, where a more tactically experienced player will wait till their grenades will be most effective (like throwing them over the wall from the allies section down the alley on the right flank which timed right will kill the first three people rushing that area.

I digress :) it's an easy game to get into for killing people, but it's a much harder game to get into for tactics imo.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Cheers for the heads up. Downloading now and will give it a go at the weekend. Getting great speeds aswell. Thanks for getting me in there early. ;)

Soldato
So, is it quite similar to the original, same guns and stamina bar etc?

If so, I WILL PWN j00 AL--*ahem* it...yea, er...should be quite easy to get back into it.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom