Morals aside...

Associate
Can you claim unemployment benefit between school and uni, and between uni and starting a graduate job? I will be graduating in June, and starting a job in September. I have no intention of getting out my bed in July or August, and if I could get a few quid from the benefits man it wouldn't go amiss. Have I got any chance?

Associate
OP
Hmmmm....so if I sent off some really really bad covering letters saying things like 'I have recently graduated so am looking for a job that gives me very flexible working hours, especially involving no set starting time. I will also be starting another job in September so by the time you have trained me I will be off' I can claim?

Soldato
big_white_dog84 said:
Can you claim unemployment benefit between school and uni, and between uni and starting a graduate job? I will be graduating in June, and starting a job in September. I have no intention of getting out my bed in July or August, and if I could get a few quid from the benefits man it wouldn't go amiss. Have I got any chance?

Why bother with university at all?
Whereas you could be out there putting in a couple of months hard graft, getting some extra cash together that would really help you through university because as anyone who went will tell you the loan isn't enough.
However you've decided your best bet is to lay in bed and let the Great British tax payer line your pocket instead.

Get off your lazy arse, get out there and earn some money like the rest of us do.

Associate
Sorry, I can't put my morals to one side for someone who is willing to fake their intentions in order to get ahold of tax payers money - of which I myself pay towards in huge doses.

Please, do the right thing and earn what you deserve.

Associate
OP
stoofa said:
Why bother with university at all?
Whereas you could be out there putting in a couple of months hard graft, getting some extra cash together that would really help you through university because as anyone who went will tell you the loan isn't enough.
However you've decided your best bet is to lay in bed and let the Great British tax payer line your pocket instead.

Get off your lazy arse, get out there and earn some money like the rest of us do.

If you actually read my post you would see that I am in my final year of University and will be starting a job in September. Loans HAVE been enough, combined with being an Officer in the Royal Naval Reserve and a volunteer with a group of young adults with severe disabilities. Tube. I have also worked all the hours God sent during all my holidays and have built up savings to see me through the academic year.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can claim a bridging allowance which is £15 a week for 8 weeks.

I know because i did it, couldn't find a job anywhere, and needed money between going from quitting my job, to college.

Associate
stoofa said:

Perhaps he's decided that those couple of months would be better spent dedicated to work for a charity. Or perhaps he'll spend the time preparing for his degree, studying so he'll eventually ace it - or travelling, educating himself - opening up more opportunities, hense he'll probably pay back far more tax.

Sure, maybe he'll lay in bed, but maybe not. If he's planning on going to university, that suggests he's thinking about his future, bettering himself and will eventually earn money, pay taxes, perhaps even benefit humanity. Who knows. I would have thought that's what benefits should really be for. To bridge gaps between times of personal development. When people don't plan to move on from it, for the rest of their life, there is a problem.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that response blueCAT. As I say in my first post I will be graduating in June after 5 long years at Uni. Before starting my job in September I am taking a couple of months off.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Ah yes, the OcUK morality police make another sting. Give it a break.

If I was you I'd claim the dole, there's thousands of ********* who claim to be crippled who are getting a lot more than £50 a week.

Back
Top Bottom