Enermax or Tagan?

n3x

n3x

Associate
Ok im after a change of psu, mainly in a futile attempt to "silence" my system... i would go seasonic but i want braided modular cables so thats not really an option.

I think i've narrowed it down to these 2...

Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-009-TG)

or

Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CA-025-EN)

Which one do ya'll think would best suit moi? :confused:

Soldato
The cabling on my old TG480U01 was excellent, however I switched to Enermax due to the early problems with the Tagans.

Haven't heard a thing wrong about the Tagans since, so I'd go for that one :)

Associate
I have both and the Tagan has better cables (the Enermax cables have 2 sata and 2 molex - not including the floppy versions - and can be a bit messy).

The Tagan connectors on the psu itself are very close together though, so I find the Enermax easier to work with within the tight confines of my P180 case.

If it's solely for cable management then I'd recommend the Tagan over the Enermax.

I find the Enermax a little bit quieter though.

But either or really... they're both excellent psu's.

n3x

n3x

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input peeps.

Now im torn between quietness or tidyness? Its a tough one...

Le Samourai, how much quieter is the enermax? If theres not a lot in it i think i could be swayed to the tagan. For some reason i feel inclined to get the enermax though, i cant seem to find a review of the tagan.

Is there anyone out there who can compare either of these 2 psu's to the modular hiper? Will it really be worth the extra money to change?

Soldato
well my PSU is the most quiet component of my machine. less than case fans, CPU fan, GPU fan, HDD's
i mean the thing is silent !
although ive never heard an enermax ( no pun intended :p )

Associate
Not that this is a defining point, but forgot to say the Tagan easycon has a horrendous pci-e cable - very chunky and sticky out nobbly bits that don't give you much room for tidying away.

Enermax has flexible pci-e cables but its other cables can seem quite cluttered.

I'd say the Tagan cables win on looks but the Enermax has an ultra sexy transparent fan. :)

Just throwing some spanners into the works! ;)

There's probably not too much between them regarding noise levels.

Soldato
Personally I have a 480w Tagan that I wouldnt sell for anythnig - its been the most reliable piece in all my pc's for the last two years or more.

Associate
I recently bought the 580Watt Tagan Easy con modular and its great. Ive been using it to test an older K7 based system (though the parts are just arranged on my desk). You have to move to within an inch of it to hear the fan. If its that quiet under admittadly light load, its not going to be much louder by the time its running a high spec system. Factor in that it will be inside a case and likely atleast half a metre from you; and it can be considered silent.

Soldato
I found the Enermax Liberty didnt really tidy up my case much, because of the layout of the cables, I had to use all the cables provided and ended up with more of a mess in my system! But Ive RMAd it for a Seasonic now anyway so I should have that in a couple days:)

n3x

n3x

Associate
OP
i just realised i mentioned the wrong tagan at the beginning... i ment the 530w one but im sure it doesnt make that much of a difference?

It looks like its gonna be a tough decision now... could anyone post a pic of either the tagan or enermax in their case so i can get an idea of how it would look please ;) failing that a linky to a TG530 review would be much appreciated.

Man of Honour
FrankJH said:
Personally I have a 480w Tagan that I wouldnt sell for anythnig - its been the most reliable piece in all my pc's for the last two years or more.

That maybe the case. I had one too. The 480W is a great PSU but the new ATX 2.01 580W Easycon is a different story i'm affraid.

Back
Top Bottom