• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which 7800GT?

Associate
Hey,

Am looking for a new card. narrowed down to 3:

Leadtek 7800GT retail pack @ £210

Leadtek 7800G Extreme retail @ £260

or

XFX 7800GT Extreme retail @ £240

Anyone know of the better card to get?? Or any reason not to get these cards?? Open to other suggestions circa £200-£260

Want to be able to play modern games (Quake 4 etc) pretty well on a P4 630 (3GHz) with 2GB Corsair Value Ram.

Cheers chaps!!

Soldato
If it was me, of the cards you mentioned i would go for the
Leadtek 7800GT retail pack @ £210
The only other card i would consider would be the... HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1800 XL 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-042-HT) at £211.44 Including VAT at 17.5%

Both cards are well priced & you wont notice the difference when palying games between any of these cards. Save the cash for something else you need. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there Zoiksy. i have the BFG 7800GT OC and i'm very pleased with it. One thing to note is that it's fitted with a BFG design copper cooler, not the one as pictured.

Associate
OP
cool thanks for the info guys!!

pretty sure i will go for the leadtek @ £211, but the x1800 XL is tempting. but have only ever had nvidia's... could be time for a change tho?!

Associate
I got the Leadtek 7800GT retail pack @ £210 when i went pci-e and because i got a SLI bored if in 6 month or so my system if struggling i can stick another one in rather than buy a new more upto date card. CPU is a 3500 Winnie, and next one will prob be an X2 4400, when the price is right.

Associate
Thats the reason above i bought my 7800gt (dx90b)retail (sli later)^^.

But ive since got the x1800xt to play with.x1800xt better image quality.Its slightly noticable,With its full dx9.0c thang.

Without knowing what kind of kit it would run on- most people buying pcie could be generalised into having fast enough kit to run games.

The decision is also down to which company rushed out a card in an attempt to woo peeps with speed but got a bit stranded with dx9ob "candies".

even tho the 7800gt is a wicked deal,with this times GF malarky,ati has a nicer view product, even if a little slower(my choice wasnt, but yours might be).You can speed up the 7800 later but i could bet you the speed "high" will soon wear off and youll want better performance like dx10 or at least proper dx9-0c in games which you wont get from the nvidia till 7900 series.(only speed from the sli)

Just a thought.

Permabanned
Richie1509 said:
Hi there Zoiksy. i have the BFG 7800GT OC and i'm very pleased with it. One thing to note is that it's fitted with a BFG design copper cooler, not the one as pictured.

Is that a good thing ... or a bad thing ?

I have a BFG 7800 GT on order and i can't wait to fire it up :D

Associate
Hi there maddad68, i can't comment on any difference between the stock & BFG cooler designs as i have no experience of other 7800gt coolers.

However, i find the BFG design to be ok, it isn't too noisey & it keeps things nice & cool. For example, when web browsing it's around 40C & around 55C when gaming, compared to my previous graphics card (an MSI 6600gt) which was around 65C when gaming.

I have seen comment from some people with this graphics card saying that they find it to be too loud due to it's fan constantly running at a higher speed. In my setup when i first switch on there is a short loud burst from the graphics card, this noise does reduce very noticably during the boot up process.

Hope this helps & that you're happy with the BFG 7800gt when it arrives.

Associate
OP
Cheers again for the info guys!!

Ordered the Leadtek retail @£210 last nite. cant wait for it to arrive now!! Saw on another thread that a lot of people say go for the cheapest and over clock. so think i mite have a play. Any pointers on oc'ing this card? got the coolbits reg mod, but will it be ok to clock it with standard cooling?? any help would be great.

Associate
I had the core at 465 and mem 1150+ admitedly on a maze 4 with no probs for pixelview 7800gt.But im sure the stock cooler would be fine.Also i think there might be a patch for correct display of sm3.Anyone shed any light on nvidias sm3 for these cards?

Soldato
Am well impressed with my two leadtek 7800gtx both overclocked with standard coolers to 490/1300.(silent)

My BFG 7800gtx would only go to 470/1300 and the fan was dam loud.

I never pay more again for a brand name video card (E.G ASUS,BFG,XFX etc) unless it has a very good game bundle or someone else..(Most of them are only charging you more for the name on the sticker)

Last edited:
Permabanned
XFX is a good up and comming make and there are faster than most for the EE build and less cash than BFG, who I dont even rate IMO, you will get 5yrs warrenty, but will you even own card by then ?.

Soldato
Humey said:
XFX is a good up and comming make and there are faster than most for the EE build and less cash than BFG, who I dont even rate IMO, you will get 5yrs warrenty, but will you even own card by then ?.

I would expect just about all 7800gt cards can run at 450/1050

Permabanned
Probably but no come back if it cant, your paying a premium for ones overclocked out the box and covered by a warrenty if they mess up at that speed :)

I see the BFg is actually cheaper in this case, I like the XFX led EE lol.

Associate
OP
OK. received my card the other day. had friends over at the weekend so eagerly awaiting playing today. opened it up to find one of the capacitors loose in the bag. anyone else had a problem?

have sent a webnote about RMA'ing it. am guessing thats the right thing to do??

mucho sado now!! was so looking forward to it. :(

Back
Top Bottom