15,000RPM Hitachi Drives?

Soldato
Blue Cypher said:
SCSI Short for small computer system interface its a old interface that is rarley used (well not home owners anyway) as SATA has taken over as it is much better.
Do you mean better or cheaper?

Associate
i mean better, well Sata has a bigger bandwidth so to home useres it is faster, where as a scsi can sometimes be slightly faster than sata in a RAID system, but in all Sata i believe is better and in a couple of years SCSI will be phased out.

Associate
Blue Cypher said:
SCSI Short for small computer system interface its a old interface that is rarley used (well not home owners anyway) as SATA has taken over as it is much better.

Nope. You're right in the meaning but that's it. Ultra320 SCSI is very much alive and won't be 'taken over' by SATA or SAS for quite some time. Nearly every web server and other performance/reliability-critical application out there today will be using SCSI Arrays for storage. It allows multiple channels, very high throughput and low-latencies.

SCSI has rarely been used in the home market, I think Apple dabbled in it, but IDE ATA has generally been the connection of choice for Hard Disks, or Serial ATA nowadays.

If you're a standard home user (and guessing from the fact you haven't heard of scsi, I'm guessing you don't have a scsi controller) then there's no point. It's used by those who need performance or redundancy above all else, even expense...

Associate
I may be wrong (but I don't think so!) that, provided you have the necessary hardware to operate these drives at the speed of which they are capable, they will still destroy normal pata/sata drives, even in a normal home enrironment, chiefly due to the 15000rpm speed (Just think of the speed difference between a normal 7200rpm sata drive and a raptor at 10000rpm.) They will also get faster overall if you stick a bunch of them in raid 5.

Thing is, you need a mobo with PCI-X slots and a decent controller really. I believe that PCI-E varients do exist but that they are rediculously expensive. (Don't even think about trying it on a normal pci slot!)

Associate

Interface speed has nothing to do with drive speed. SATAII can do 3gb/s BUT the fastest disk is a new raptor. Which can't really match the 89MB/s sustained transfer quoted for a lower end maxtor Atlas. High RPM SCSI drives can burst up to 230MB/s and in raid you can get in the region of 130MB/s sustained.
Which is why we use them in servers.

Associate
Skiddley said:
These younguns eh!

Ahem! Speak for yourself.

Wisedom comes with experience, not age :p My dad's lots older than me and i'm sure he doesn't know what it is either. Infact he doesn't even know where his files go half the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom