• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Skt 939 CPU Knockout

Associate
Ok, so Socket M2 is not looking very appealing so I am deffo gonna go with Skt 939 now.

Now I have a choice of the following CPU's, the PC I am building I am expecting to last around 2 years.

My gut feeling is telling me X2, but I would like some opinions please.

PC is mainly used for Games/Uni/Watching TV.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3700BNBOX) (CP-121-AM)
v
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-145-AM)
v
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4000BNBOX) (CP-120-AM)
v
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3800BVBOX) (CP-134-AM)

Thanks

Dizzy

Soldato
I have a choice of the following CPU's, the PC I am building I am expecting to last around 2 years

if its 2 years, then you definitely want the Dual core, if you can go for the opteron 170 and overclock it, most are getting 2.8 on air stable with the new revisions.

or if you like you can wait for the new Intel chips out in June-September time period.

Associate
OP
I am not much of an overclocker at all really, and dont expect to overclock this system until I need to. I am not gonna overclock until games are unplayable.

I am thinking dual core.

Associate
DizzyEgg said:
PC is mainly used for Games/Uni/Watching TV.
Dizzy

dizzy, uni work and watching tv will never require dual core processor power! and even in 2 years time games will still be completely playable with a sandy 3700+, save your cash m8 and get a better gfx card.

and if you ever do decide to overclock your cpu (heck you posted on an overclocking forum so its your duty) the new batch of 3700+ sandys will pleasantly surprise you :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
wow, this is hardest computer decision I have ever had to make, ever. I am saving like £65 by not going dual core, but I do like the sound of dual core.

I thought games makers have started to using dual core in games, so in like a years time dual core would be much better performance in games?

hmmmm, I was dead set on dual core, but now you have said that im not sure.

Associate
put it this way, real world game settings will always be limited by the gfx card, this is because games push this specific component to the limit. a cpu will only be a "major" limiting factor when it becomes a "major" performance bottleneck.
if you dont multi task (ie encode films and play games at the same time) you will never fully use the benefits of a dual core cpu.

I'd say maybe 15-20% of what you do on a pc will significantly benefit from a dual core cpu, and that will apply for a year or 2 I guarantee.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The problem is I wont have the money really, this is my last PC Build/Upgrade for 2 years maybe 3 as I am moving to Manchester Uni nxt year so money will be used on other things :)

Suspended
Even the lowest Athlon 64's aren't being pushed that hard right now in games, and an oldie processor like an Ahtlon XP3200+ is still Ok - hence my reasoning that a 3700+ San Diego will be fine for lasting 3 years. Especially when you consider that it can be overclocked. Yeah dual-core can be OC'd as well, but it doesn't represent great value for money yet in my eyes. As a student, you'd be better keeping a bit of extra cash spare!!!!

Soldato
=assassin= said:
Even the lowest Athlon 64's aren't being pushed that hard right now in games, and an oldie processor like an Ahtlon XP3200+ is still Ok - hence my reasoning that a 3700+ San Diego will be fine for lasting 3 years. Especially when you consider that it can be overclocked. Yeah dual-core can be OC'd as well, but it doesn't represent great value for money yet in my eyes. As a student, you'd be better keeping a bit of extra cash spare!!!!
Yeah, which is why I said get a SD 3700+ now and get a X2 when the price is a lot lower, but DizzyEgg wants to spend the money now.

Associate
DizzyEgg said:
The problem is I wont have the money really, this is my last PC Build/Upgrade for 2 years maybe 3 as I am moving to Manchester Uni nxt year so money will be used on other things :)

ah na, thats what hardship loans are for! you see the uni will give you extra money so you can build a better gaming machine. thats how I built my old winnie 3200/6800gt pc. the actual grant/loan you spend on drink and su pub crawls.

seriously both single core and dual core amd a64s are very powerful processors, if after when you've bought 2gb of ram and you have a spare 70quid I guess the most "future proof" cpu would be a dual core :rolleyes:

Associate
What university course are you doing if its computing and contains any 3D modelling etc get a duel core as you will reduce your rendering times in half roughly, which will leave you with more time to play CS when you should be working :D

At least thats what I've done.

Associate
Hey.

I am also planning an upgrade, and wont be doing so again for the next couple of years. My personal decision is to go dual core, and I will be buying the X2 3800+. Together with a 7800GT, should be fine for gaming. Going dual core gives you all the possible benifits that could come as more multi threaded applications are released, and current ones patched.

Associate
OP
Nahh, doing a Computer Systems degree, not really need a powerful PC for the softwarw I will be running, games is my main issue.

I have not applied for a hardship grant yet, although Im going too, but I cant think of anything good to write on it, can you help me with that m8? What did you say why u needed the money, I NEED A GOOD BLAG!!!

Associate
basically my aced overdrafts spoke for themselves. I printed off loads of bank statements pointing this out and said I basically have no money for food, and I need money to run my motor, it worked every year. best time to apply is when your nearing the end of the academic year, they cant get rid of it fast enough then. damn I was a student to**er then!

anyway, if you plan to game a lot 2gb of ram and a single core cpu is better than an expensive dual core and only 1gb of ram, I know that for sure!

Associate
OP
lol, thanks, well acing an over draft is no problem for me :) But what did you say you spent all your money on? some of my statements say i was drawing £200 at like 4 in the morning, dont really wanna be giving them in. Oh yea, im a student ****** now, thanks :p

Well anyway, I have budgeted for 3gb of ram, as I have 1gb of HyperX here that I am not really using and im gonna get 2gb of the g.skill stuff (the blue ones to match the hyperX lol).

Well I have worked out so far what I am deffo having:

1gb of hyperX
G.Skill 2GB DDR HS PC3200 (2x1GB) CAS2.5 Dual Channel Kit (F1-3200USU2-2GBHS) (MY-007-GS)
Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-087-AS)
Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-018-SA)
Pioneer DVR-110BK 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black) OEM (CD-036-PO)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music - Retail (SC-034-CL)
Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-000-TG) (Already Got)
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) (AC-000-AC)
Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard (Black) - OEM (KB-011-LG)
Razer Copperhead SK Edition 2000dpi High Precision Gaming Mouse - Retail KB-020-RA)
Everglide Titan Gaming Mat (GS-014-EV)
Sennheiser PC160 Pro-Gaming Headphones (SP-014-SN)
Acer AL1916W 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-012-AC)

So now im up the the CPU (This Thread), need to choose from a graphics card, not worked out a budget yet and my m8 might sell me his 7800GTX. Then im left with case and speakers to look for.

So I have no doubt the rest of the spec is good enough just really lost when it comes down to the cpu.

Associate
my copperhead would be lost without its icemat, match made in heaven! :)

cool you got loads of ram then, get a dual core and be done with it ;)
you may have to run 2t as 4 sticks of ram can take it out on the mem controller.
7800gtx is a great card, even better when nvidia sort out there x2 driver issues.

Back
Top Bottom