How fast XP?

Associate
Bored. Sunday. Wonder what's the fastest time you can possibly get from power on to 'ready' desktop, in XP & XPPro. There must be a physical limit I guess, mine on fresh install is taking 58sec. Anyone else bored enough to time it?

Soldato
15 seconds to boot from the xp loading screen. 21 seconds in total including the bios screen. This is on a very fragmented 20GB hard drive.

Athlon X2 3800+ 2.5ghz
1GB RAM

Soldato
60+ O_O!!! :O

But thats including loading up norton ghost which loads up while booting, and I have a fair few programs loading at startup :o

Soldato
This pile o' poo here at work takes about 3 minutes to be usable from putting my password in!... but mine at home takes about 40 seconds from Power-on (including putting in my password!...)

Soldato
Mine takes ages too, Windows Media Edition 2005 though. With pro its under 30 secs, with MCE 2005 around a 1 - 1.5 minutes.

You should if you have not already tried use a microsoft proggy called bootvis.exe, it gives exact times/improves boot up.

A lot of stuff clogs up the prefetch folder, which I sometimes clean out, to make sure no obselete progs remain after de-installation.

Man of Honour
SouthYorkieLad said:
12 Seconds to welcome screen. Dual Core is really fast..

[edit]

more than likley the raptors play a big part too..

How long does it take to get to an idle desktop? We need to be comparing apples to apples here. 12s is pretty nippy given that a good 5s of that is probably the gpu/mobo BIOS POST screens.

Personally I'm not overly bothered about boot up times - at the end of the day, whether it takes 30s or 60s isn't going to make a lot of difference to my life, considering how often I power up my PC.... maybe a couple of times a day? Things like internet connection speed are much more important when it comes to time-saving.

At work however it's another matter, one of my workstations keeps losing connection to an essential network drive, meaning we sometimes have to reboot it 10 or 15 times per day. Not too pleasant on a Pentium with 80meg RAM.

Back
Top Bottom