• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£200 gfx options - to SLI or Not to SLI

Associate
Looking at going for a new gfx mobo and cpu very soon, soooo...

do I go for two of these in SLI:
XFX GeForce 6800 XT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT42E-UDE3) (GX-067-XF) for £159.90

or

just the one of these:

Leadtek GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-069-LT) for £179.95

Associate
OP
thanks for the advice, had differing reports on SLI, seems its slower than 1 card in some cases, other cases much quicker.

As a side note, I asked the lead programmer here at work about SLI implimentation, I work for a game developer as an artist, and apparantly SLI is fairly easy to impliment code side, which should mean more games will support it in the future, and those that dont may get patched to do so.

Soldato
If you dont know Gibbo works for OcUK.

Gibbo said:
Hi there

The X1800XL is the better buy. 7800 GT performance, but superior visuals and AVIVO are all added bonuses. :)

Also the X1800 XL are superb overclockers and were talking big performance increases by overclocking making them quite a bit quicker than even overclocked 7800 GT's. :)

Associate
It's funny, I was asked the same question recently; and this morning I went through these exact choices 5 mins ago! If you havn't got the SLi motherboard yet maybe consider the crossfire (ATI SLi) equivalent. Then in the future you could have x1800xl *2.

R

Back
Top Bottom