• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Running Windows in 1280 x 720 Resolution

Caporegime
Im posting from work atm, so excuse the different from usual IP

Im trialling a new monitor for the IT dept. Its a digimate 15" widescreen. it has a natural resolution of 1280 x 720. We can only get it to run 1280 X 768 which of course not being its native resolution looks horrible.

Its powered from intel 865G Graphics, and digimate supply no monitor driver. Their tech support reckons they dont need one ..

so i can only assume the list of available resolutions comes from the graphics adapter ?

i tryed using a iiyama monitor driver. the C270WT which also has a native resolution of 1280 x 720 but still no option to set 1280 x 720. Only 1280 X 768

But surely, if the graphics adapter is capable of 1280 x 768 it can do 1280 x 720 ?

im mystified. any help appreciated

Soldato
Desktop properties -> Monitor -> untick "Hide modes this monitor cannot display"

Failing that, find a monitor driver (.inf) and modify the maximum resolution line on it (should be straight forward) and see if that sorts it.

Soldato
As I rem it from years back there is a section for custome refresh and resolutions where you can set anything.

But you prob wont need to do that if you just try the toher things suggested in this thread.

Caporegime
OP
interesting enough

the iiyam monitor im using does have this in it :

[PLC270WT.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,720",Mode1,,"30-82,55-76,+,+"

so the monitor inf is supposed to add 1280 x 720. But its not there. Strange ..

Caporegime
OP
im stumped as to why windows wont give me the 1280 x 720 option given that the monitor .inf tells windows to add that resolution to the registry

it must be controlled by the graphics adapter, as i get that resolution option at home, and my monitor isnt even widescreen.

how do i force powerstrip to run 1280 x 720 ? im looking at the display profile section, under the "configure" option. Ive got loads of resolutions to choose from, but not 1280 x 720 , only x 768.

Can i enter a resolution in numbers rather than the slider ?

Associate
I think your running into the graphics driver limit. Longest of long shots but there isn't an updated driver from intel for that is there?

Other than that a cheapo graphics card, even a PCI (not PCI-E) based one, may solve this.

Caporegime
OP
yes

ive used the latest one from the intel website

dated nov '05 i think. And still no luck.

Cant believe that it can drive 1280 x 768 at 60hz but not 1280 x 720

its actually easier as its less pixels !. It can actually draw 1280 x 1024 fine as well, just looks very weird as the vertical pixel count is well out when the horizontal one is correct.

Soldato
Windows bundles a few generic monitor drivers, you can assign one of those drivers to the monitor, you need to manually select the drive though - since windows won't display them as 'compatible'. I have to use the 'flat panel 1280x1024' driver for my cheap 17" Digimate because DDC picks up the max res as 1024x768 :p

Soldato
MrLOL said:
yes

its intel onboard "extreme" graphics 2

Got that on my laptop, and it works at 1280x800 and 1280x720 using the widescreen display panel...

Have you tried a driver update on the gfx card?

:D

Edit: yes I see you have... is the intel utility installed as well?

Soldato
if you use the driver extended properties there should be a drop down box...

I noticed that mine has some different options available depending on how the display is setup (devices page), ie what outputs you have selected..

Try fiddling with these, I had to do this to get mine to work properly on my 43inch dlp tv...

:D

Caporegime
OP
just to throw a spanner in the works, ive tryed 4 different driver revisions, and none of them give me the option to use 1280 x 720

however, one of the driver versions is also used in Win2k PC we have here, with exactly the same graphics chipset.

that has the option to run it, along with others as well like 1280 x 600 or something. But my Windows XP Pro machine cant, and neither can any of the others in the call centre.

but the Windows 2000 one downstairs in the office can. It just gets stranger and stranger ..

where is the devices page / driver extended properties that i need to look in ? ive looked at everything in the intel tray applications options but found nothing.

Back
Top Bottom