Computers not seeing each other?

Soldato
I've got a fairly small wireless network.

1x PC
2x laptops

I'm using a Netgear DG834 Router, My PC doesn't see the laptops on the network, not in cmd with net view or in the workgroup computers. I am using a linksys USB adapter and wondering if this could be affecting things? My firewall is off so it can't be that.

In cmd I get a 6118 error :(

If I get a netgear wireless adapter will this work?

The Laptops don't see the PC either...

Associate
just seen this from another site, just for future reference if you have an error number like that just type it into google and you will usually find a site telling you what it means

System error 6118 has occurred. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available
SYMPTOMS: 1) After enabling ICS/ICF, you can't see any computes on My Network places. If you try, you may get "workgroup is not accessible". 2) If you use the net view command, you may receive "System error 6118 has occurred. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." message.
Resolutions:
1) This behavior can occur if you enable the ICF that will closes the ports for file sharing by default. To open these ports, right-click the network connection that is firewall protected> Properties>Advanced>Settings>Service Tab>Add, Enter 127.0.0.1) for the required Internet Protocol (IP) number. Enter UDP ports from 135 through 139, and TCP ports from 135 through 139 one by one (the external and internal port numbers should be identical).
2) This may occur if the workgroup name and the domain name are the different.
3) No master browser. Starting Computer Browser Service on one of w2k/xp computers should fix the problem

Soldato
OP
I had found that, when it says right-click the firewalled network connection I presume that means the wireless connection? propeties and advanced then the only option there is the windows firewall settings?

Associate
I assume that all the computers are on the same workgroup but have you changed this from the default MSHOME. The computers on my network could not see each other even when all on MSHOME but I changed the workgroup and problems solved, not sure about that 6118 error though . . . . . . .

Soldato
OP
Workgroup changed and still not working :(

On my PC I can't even access the workgoup computers window yet on a laptop I can but it only sees itself in the workgroup :(

Oh and network setup wizard ran too...

Associate
What OS are you running on the PC, and what's your network topology? To See another PC the PC must respond to a broadcast, if there is routing of any description between PCs broadcasts will be blocked. The only way to see PC's across subnets is if your on a domain.

Soldato
OP
Mikey1280 said:
What happens on your pc when you try and access the workgoup computers window, does your pc slow down and the workgroup window becomes 'not responding'? I dont really know what else to suggest.
Yeah, I don't even get to see the window, it just doesn't respond. Then I get an error saying its not accessible.

What OS are you running on the PC, and what's your network topology? To See another PC the PC must respond to a broadcast, if there is routing of any description between PCs broadcasts will be blocked. The only way to see PC's across subnets is if your on a domain.

The OS is XP sp2. The network is just a wireless network.

Would windows firewall be stopping it? Although I have it turned off sometimes it is displayed as on...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
errata said:
You ran the netwrok wizard on one PC than took the settings to each pc in turn, applied them and rebooted each?

No.

I indivudally ran the network setup wizard on each machine, although at the end of the wizard where it asks if I want to make a CD of it I shall...

Associate
Any chance you have another firewall running (XP's, one built into an antivirus suite?).

Any chance you have configured the router not to issue IP's to non approved network adapters or limited the pool of available IP addresses it can issue?

Any chance you have disabled any services in Xp

stumped

Soldato
I would give the 3 PCs fixed IPs on the same subnet. Make sure that "Enable Netbios over TCP/IP" is enabled under the advanced TCP/IP settings. Also I would add the computers to the hosts file (located at c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc).

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom