Making rice non sticky

Associate
What can I change in the following process to stop my rice sticking together?
I want to be able to make non-clumpy fried rice. I don't really want to buy a rice steamer.

1. Measure out 1 cup of basmati/american long grain rice.
2. Wash rice in sieve with fast flowing hot water to remove as much starch as possible.
3. Add rice to saucepan.
3. Boil water and add 2 cups of water to saucepan.
4. Heat until no water remains. - This is the problem bit because to boil the rice completely dry would burn the rice at the bottom of the pan first.

Thanks.

Associate
What can I say, I like oriental ;)

1. Pour hot water into pan (Ratio 1pint water : 8oz long grain rice), add salt + pepper
2. bring to the boil and throw in the (washed) rice.
3. Once you see bubbles appear (even little ones), put on the sealed lid and leave the rice on a VERY LOW (lowest you can manage) heat for about 20min.
4. After 20/25min, the rice should be ready. If there is excess water, simply drain before serving.

Has worked for me for about 8yrs :)

Man of Honour
You have to make sure that water never leaves rice once it touches it, i.e. once you wash rice in a sieve and then walk away from the sink.

Therefore don't rinse with a sieve. Put the rice into the saucepan, add water and then drain until the level is just above the rice. Repeat again and again until you feel you've got enough of the starch out. Add enough water until you get to (as you say above) two cups. Then cook normally. That's what my mom has done for 30 years now and we never eat clumpy rice!

Hope that helps :)

Associate
1 cup of rice in pan
cover rice with water to one finger thickness above rice

do not wash rice

set one ring to a low simmer
bring pan with rice to the boil on another ring, transfer to simmer ring cover with lid
leave for 10 mins ( do not look stir or remove lid ) remove from heat leave 10 mins covered with lid

perfect every time

Soldato
What I normally do is:

Add 1 cup of basmati rice and 2 cups of cold water to a saucepan. Bring the water to the boil then turn off the heat, cover the saucepan with a tight fitting lid and leave for 20 minutes.

Soldato
As above, then:
4. Use cold water and bring to boil
5. Put on lid (must be tight fitting) and simmer for 8 mins
6. Take off heat and leave with lid on for 8-10 min

Do not remove the lid until the rice is ready or it won't come out right. If you use a heavy pan with a tight fitting lid it comes out best. If not - use a tea towel between the pan and the lid (make sure the tea towel is folded up so it doesn't get burned) can help.

edit: washing rice these days does not make a great deal of difference. I have done it with and without can't really say I have noticed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Muban said:
As above, then:

Do not remove the lid until the rice is ready or it won't come out right. If you use a heavy pan with a tight fitting lid it comes out best. If not - use a tea towel between the pan and the lid (make sure the tea towel is folded up so it doesn't get burned) can help.

edit: washing rice these days does not make a great deal of difference. I have done it with and without can't really say I have noticed.

So using this method, will there be any water left at the end? If there is do I just drain it off?

Soldato
Perplexed said:
So using this method, will there be any water left at the end? If there is do I just drain it off?
I always end up without any water at the end. I do, however, user cast iron pans that keep the heat really well.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
There are people cooking rice in very complicated ways here. I don't get sticky or starchy rice and don't do half the things that have been recommended!

Half a mug of rice per person into a dry pan (biggest pan you can find, even if it's only one portion). Add cold water so rice is covered, and a pinch of salt. Whack the hob on full until it's simmering then turn it down so it stays that way. Don't cover.

My housemate has an even better method and he uses a Pyrex dish in the microwave. somehow it's done to perfection in about 6 minutes.

Oh, and Raist, four tablespoons of butter?! What the deuce?!

Soldato
Muban said:
As above, then:

thats how my mum makes it,,,
mmm homemade chicken biryani :D

Associate
Since moving (and not having a cooker) I've had to learn how to do rice in the microwave and I have to admit it tastes better and looks better than it ever did when I did it on the hob (if I remember rightly the tesco american easy cook brown rice is 4 minutes on max and 25 minutes on defrost/40%)

Back
Top Bottom