I WANT A JOB!

Permabanned
Argh... I really am sick of sitting on my arse looking at job search websites for jobs in photography, it obviously isn't working and I'm thinking most photography jobs are filled by the "A friend of a friend" routine...

So who's friend of a friend can I be here? I want to get any kind of photography job, well except portaiture of little children (blah too much work).

Advice please?

Soldato
Find yourself a nice little part-time job that pays just enough to cover your outgoings but doesn't allow you to save. Then use your free time to either try setting up your own business, sell your shots in galleries or contact every photographer within your area and ask if they need an assistant.

Also make sure to set yourself a goal. "I want photography to be my main source of income by 200X" will help you along the road.

Soldato
Contacts. Doesn't matter how good you are, its all about contacts. I'm getting small jobs here and there and trying to build up contacts. I was rather impressed when I was out one night and the guy I had to contact said "Yer I've heard of you". I was like sweet, its working. I was at a kids birthday party last night for a shoot and I'm now looking to do a family portrait. If I do a good job, they'll put it on their wall and then friends will ask where they got such a good photo from.

Associate
At the moment Im currently talking to a few printing companies about getting some greetings card featuring my work run out, which Ill then sell to shops in and around my local area. The way I see it, it may not be what I want to do for the rest of my life, but for a relatively small outlay I get the chance to get my name into hundreds of houses which can't be a bad thing.

Like it's been said, it's all about contacts, and contacts will lead to bigger and better things!

cyKey said:
Contacts. Doesn't matter how good you are, its all about contacts. I'm getting small jobs here and there and trying to build up contacts. I was rather impressed when I was out one night and the guy I had to contact said "Yer I've heard of you". I was like sweet, its working. I was at a kids birthday party last night for a shoot and I'm now looking to do a family portrait. If I do a good job, they'll put it on their wall and then friends will ask where they got such a good photo from.

Thats where all my contacts are. Portraits and family stuff. I have done a few kids partys and I sell a lot of my work to many clients. I know I have my work hung on many walls.. Thanks to my sister who is a mother :) (also works as a teacher in school)

Associate
Other things to do is to start entering competitions if you haven't already. Get a portfolio published in AP, PopPhoto etc....you need to start building a name. Friend of mine got a couple of pictures published in AP Photographer of the Year comp and started to pick up work. Not enough to live on but it pays for the hobby and he only does the stuff he wants to do; turns work down.

Associate
ive just started a part time Digital imaging course at my local college, im only 2 weeks into it but it seems quite good so far im also doing a course in Photoshop so hopefully these will complement eachother. Best part is as im out of work at the moment the jobcenter pays for it, would have cost me £150 odd quid

Associate
webmonkeyuk said:
ive just started a part time Digital imaging course at my local college, im only 2 weeks into it but it seems quite good so far im also doing a course in Photoshop so hopefully these will complement eachother. Best part is as im out of work at the moment the jobcenter pays for it, would have cost me £150 odd quid

thats great can you give us more info on what its called/covers etc

Associate
Digital Photography & imaging Intermediate, heres the write up from the website

This course will enable you to
gain new skills or develop
existing skills in Digital
Photography and Digital
Imaging.
The course covers the
following:
• Techniques to improve the
photographs you take with
your digital camera
• Research of professional
digital photography work
• Further image editing and
enhancement techniques in
Photoshop

And the other one is - Digital Imaging in Photoshop Intermediate

The course builds on the skills
learned on the Beginners Digital
Imaging course. It is aimed at
students with existing
Photoshop or digital imaging
skills who wish to improve or
add to those skills.
Using Photoshop to modify,
correct and enhance your work,
you will apply a variety of digital
techniques to produce a
creative range of images.

As i said im only 2weeks into it but we got to go out for a walkabout and have a play round with the cameras so it seems ok sofar only time will tell i guess ;) Best bet is to have a trip down to your local college and have a chat with one of the guides on whats open to you. Good luck m8

Permabanned
OP
spell said:
Other things to do is to start entering competitions if you haven't already. Get a portfolio published in AP, PopPhoto etc....you need to start building a name. Friend of mine got a couple of pictures published in AP Photographer of the Year comp and started to pick up work. Not enough to live on but it pays for the hobby and he only does the stuff he wants to do; turns work down.
AP? PopPhoto? Etc? lol links would be great! Thanks a lot :)

I might do a photography course at college but most people i hav heard from said a good portfolio is better than any certificate you might have saying your good at photography.

Soldato
Yer totally. If you have a portfolio showing you can do the job its better than a piece of paper showing you have studied the job. Still, its finding someone to show the portfolio to :)

Associate
undilutedethics said:
thanks ill check it out - in your colleges case can you say what are the running times (when are start dates and how long is the course)

My course started on the 1/02/06 and finishes on the 14/06/06 u might of missed this terms start date but different colleges might start at different times so u might be lucky :D

Associate
AP=Amateur Photographer; they run a photographer of the year competition which is very well respected. They also print several readers portfolios a week. And I meant Practical Photography as opposed to Popular Photography but they also print reader portfolios. Go to WH Smith and go through the photography magazines; have a browse, start entering competitions.

Back
Top Bottom