Retiring at 33 to play MMOPRGs, am I mad?

Caporegime
Website said:
Higher than the Yen and the Lira
I wonder what Lira they are talking about?

And what difference does it make what the absolute value of any currency is compared to another currency.

The author needs a cold hard slap for crappy methodology.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Borris said:
I wonder what Lira they are talking about?

And what difference does it make what the absolute value of any currency is compared to another currency.

The author needs a cold hard slap for crappy methodology.
I agree. I wasn't defending him in any way :p Just stating one of many websites that has analysed EQ's economy. Quite amazing the amount of analysis that has gone into the world of MMORPGs, I'm sure a few people would have a field day with figuring out the OP ;)

Caporegime
Haly said:
I remember a fair few back in the days of Asheron's Call and Ever Crack - A number of the folks I played with roled extreme templates for the sole purpose of farming and selling on ebay.

There were a number of well written pieces on the various onlin economies - the theory became quite complicated, once cross-game trading was taken into account.

Permabanned
A few years ago i was part of a team deploying a load of new technology in a military bunker. The instalklation and commisioning was basically 8 weeks work, 12 hours a day, working in a bunker 100m below the surface. The bonuses involved were absolutley awesome.

And yet one member of the team refused to do it as it would cut into his everquest time. And he thought that this was normal....

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Borris said:
I remember a fair few back in the days of Asheron's Call and Ever Crack - A number of the folks I played with roled extreme templates for the sole purpose of farming and selling on ebay.

There were a number of well written pieces on the various onlin economies - the theory became quite complicated, once cross-game trading was taken into account.
It's pretty interesting stuff although some of it can get complicated. Writing my dissertation on MMORPGs so I was tempted to concentrate on the economics but went a different way instead, such a broad field I had loads of options of what to do.
Mind you, I'd never want to live on earnings from an MMORPG :/ I like them but if it became a job i know I'd end up disliking playing them.

Permabanned
I agree with mcast123. some posts have been quite insulting. As an avid MMORPG fan I can understand why he would want to spend more time playing, I am not a geek and have a very active social lif and don't mind my job, but there is nothing wrong with spending time doing what you want to do, just because some people prefer to have a kid and a wife, others might prefer to work less and do more of what they enjoy.

as long as he sorts himself financially first, I don't see a problem. He would either need a large amount of money or some way of making it.

If he just said he wanted to quit his job and hadn't given a reason, no one would have said anything. It is this prejudice against mmorpgs and their is the problem. It doesn't mean you are a geek. while he is enjoying not working he will be able to spend more time with his friends etc also while all you real geeks are in work.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You would need in depth, AD, SAN, Exchange, 2003, clustering, and a lot of market data e.g. bloomberg, reuters, factset etc. Why the heck would you take 45 and give me 15? Do yourself a favour if you want the cash, get a MCSE home study and contract for 70-100kpa.

daz

daz

Soldato
OK, we'll just tell you what you want to hear: go follow your dream and become a full time avatar in a fantasy world. You'll be fine for money (don't even worry about it tbh) your social life will take care of itself (just meet girls online etc) and you most definitely won't regret any time spent on it in 5 years time when the servers go down for the last time.

Associate
I quit a life playing mmorpg's with the rest of the losers that play them (yeah thats going to insult a lot of people, but for every 1 well adjusted, sensible, happy person playing them..... there are 9 socially inadaquate, lonely and depressed people playing them) .... to get a job and a life.

MMORPG's are a great concept, but in reality they require a lot of self control to be able to use them to enhance and enrich your LIFE, as opposed to them becoming your LIFE in itself.

Many people, frustrated with their lack of success and happiness in this world, seek solace in the fact they can be a success with a virtual character. Unfortunately all this leads to is bad health, wasted time and turns people into vegetables.

Its enviable that you can pay off your mortgage and afford to get by on a low paid job - but is that how you want to look back on how you lived your life?

Do something worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom